03.05.2018 - Roadmap Update

Progress has been made across a number of areas!

Paper Wallets will see a first version released shortly

Daedalus Wallet Accounts and a Multi-currency Ledger are two new roadmap items.

Stakepool testnet registration has been extended until the end of May - to give more opportunity for interested parties to register their interest. IOHK have received over 1500 applications and have been pleasantly overwhelmed by the great level of interest.

Smart Contracts testnets will start 28th May - with KEVM first, followed by IELE VM around July.

GO TO ROADMAP >

11 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

1500 - thatā€™s crazy. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s like when you get RSVPs for a party, only about a third will actually show up. Thatā€™s still a lot. Probably too many to make money on by running one.

Pareto distribution. Out of each 100 of pools there will be only about 20 good or serious ones.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve already upgraded my vps instance to 8GB just in case I need it, in anticipation of testnet. Hope I get ā€˜pickedā€™ :slight_smile:. Iā€™d be willing to get some dedicated 1U hardware in the datacenter where Iā€™m hosting my VPSā€¦ Theyā€™re tier 4 - highest you can get - and theyā€™ve been around ā€˜foreverā€™ā€¦ What Iā€™m curious about is the incentives CH is talking about, and whether those alone can be enough to basically foot the bill either for the VPS or for the dedicated hardware that I might put into a data centerā€¦ as well as what will be the minimum requirements of a node, network & hardware wise. Clearly we donā€™t want people running nodes on their DSL network at homeā€¦

The node requirements have not been released yet, are you sure we could run it off the VPS? :wink:

Itā€™s an 8GB RAM, Xeon server although Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not alone on it. Iā€™ve got 15TB bandwidth/month for the package I pay. I can go unmetered but I would have to invest in some 1U hardware and do a colo or pay them for exclusive hardware/server access, which Iā€™d rather not do since I doubt the hardware requirements for a node are going to change much over timeā€¦ This isnā€™t PoW weā€™re talking here. Bandwidth wise I do expect it to be more demanding, depending on how they shard the nodesā€¦CH kept saying that it isnā€™t a fully replicated system, meaning, nodes may see only part of the chain and still be useful. Maybe that too will be a condition - can you run a fully replicated nodeā€¦ at least on testnet until they figure out sharding.

1 Like

Do you really need to buy and maintain hardwareā€¦

Canā€™t you just give AWS your credit card, or Azure, or Google Cloud, or Rackspace, or VHD, or DigitalOcean, or ā€¦

And start an instance?

Thatā€™s what I already have. It could very well be sufficient. Iā€™d like to know the expectations/specifications for running a nodeā€¦ and obviously can it be self sustainable.

Yea, I just feel that the level of DDOS protection provided by big cloud players like AWS or Google will be superior to what is on offer at my datacenter - for sure I could colocate a 1U but is that the right decision. Also when it comes to redundancy these providers would allow me to have a VM in (say) New York and London, such that I could failover between them.

FYI: machine failures happen about once every 3 years. But what happens more frequently for cloud is an internet outage. An AWS site goes offline for example. btw: AWS ā€œzonesā€ will not help with this, you need to have the second server at a different site. IRL zones are just warehouses next to each other.

Yea. We donā€™t know yet what the rewards will be and if we have control over charging. Would I spin up a single Digital Ocean server for the love of the community - sure. Would I have two AWS servers for failover + a reporting server, just for the love - meh - probably not. So we need to see.

1 Like