AdaPools.io - Amsterdam, Netherlands & Frankfurt, Germany SL nodes up and running!

I’m happy to note that we now have a true ‘global network’ of SL nodes up and running for our Ada staking pools.
Frankfurt Germany, and Amsterdam, Netherlands SL nodes are both live and have been running flawlessly for the past two days.

With our global pool net having run with all nodes live for a few days now, I am happy to say the codebase for the SL nodes themselves feels rock solid. They have all been running smooth as silk since going live and running 24/7 - very impressive and bodes well for the bedrock nature of Cardano/Ada in the future.

singapore-node-usage-highlight

As you can see from the above, we are running high powered nodes, dedicated entirely to the pools - no website hosting, side mining, etc. are run on any of our pool nodes. All are 6 core CPU interwoven SSD systems.
So far the % CPU and memory rarely goes higher then 3% at this point, so we have substantial reserve power if needed to ensure max performance for any pool members elected slot leaders.

Having all the nodes live 24/7 will let us continue to monitor and better prep for when pooling / staking begins.

More details for those interested as we move forward at http://adapools.io

9 Likes

Will pools lead to centralization?

I have a general understanding of the PoS system (correct me if I’m wrong) in that a lottery takes place to choose the address that will validate the transactions. The more ADA you hold the better chance you have of being chosen. If someone holds a small amount of ADA there is a good chance they will never be chosen. Pools, like in PoW systems, allow for everyone to participate and be rewarded proportionally.

Granted the system is more centralized right now and this will lead to more decentralization. As the site says:
“You are only assigning the ‘voting rights’ of your Ada holdings to the pool and you continue to keep your Ada currency wherever you wish, including offline.” - I’m assuming these are ‘voting rights’ for the Settlement Layer and not any governance. Will governance not be done through this layer and pools?

Thanks!

In a fully decentralised network, software and protocol updates should not be decided by a central authority. To ensure that its protocol can be developed over time, Cardano will have a voting center for updates. Updates to the software and the protocol can be proposed, and users will be able to vote on those proposals, weighted by the amount of stake they hold. Users who do not want to concern themselves with technical details may delegate their voting rights instead, and trust a stake pool to make an informed and responsible decision on their behalf. from here - https://cardanoroadmap.com/

So, the pools WILL vote for… let’s called them “software updates” (forks) with the stakeholder power they have proportional to the nr of Ada.

1 Like