Cabal stuck at resolving dependencies

After following the installing from source code instructions I ran $ cabal configure --with-compiler=ghc-8.10.2 which is now stuck at resolving dependencies. It’s been like an hour… what’s going on?

'cabal.project.local' file already exists. Now overwriting it.
Warning: Requested index-state2021-01-10T00:00:00Z is newer than
'hackage.haskell.org'! Falling back to older state (2021-01-09T22:55:53Z).
Resolving dependencies...

Update: after a while I started to just spam the enter key… and then voila it showed the dependencies are finished… I have no idea what happened, probably a console issue.

Check the version on cabal and ghc before continuing, it will help check if they installed properly post spamming enter :grinning::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Resolving dependencies…
this is not an issue… you should have patience :slight_smile:
Cheers,

1 Like

I have the same issue. Using AWS Ubuntu 20 instance. Do let me know if you somehow resolved this. I prefer AWS but can move to GCP if this issue sticks.

What error, the above error wasn’t actually an error

Cheers,

It takes a while but mines eventually run. Running ubuntu 20 on AWS. What configuration are you running the EC2 instances? Recommended now is 2vCPU and 8 GB memory.

Some output for long running tasks is helpful in creating the perception that your stuff is not broken. Maybe the long wait is not an issue from a functional perspective but it is most certainly an issue from a usability standpoint. I wonder how many potential node owners gave up because they didn’t know that Resolving dependencies could take as long as half an hour.