Cardano Democracy Vote - Please Consider Real Case application

Dear Cardano Team,

Please consider my proposal and contact me if you would like me to be part of the team developing the below.

Building a voting system on Cardano.
Collaborate with governments to build a real voting system that works.

Overview… Every time an elections come there is token distributed to all eligible addresses (citizens eligible to vote), they are able to spend(send) their token on their candidate(receiving address).

This makes it so easy as all votes will be on a public ledger, all votes are automatically counted and everyone can check where their vote went without sharing who they voted for or their data.

Everyone over 18 is eligible to vote has some kind of ID number/Passport number or something similar. This code is a string in most cases that can be used as a “Public key to vote” and this is nothing new every government has a DB of that available.

The public key receives an airdrop of 1 voting token(bulletin) when elections come.

This token can only be spent on the voting network and the vote is sent to the address of the desired candidate.

Opposition parties all around the world will try to push that forward as if the leading party opposes that it will be horrible PR and a ground to say that they are cheating on elections. Political suicide. If we don’t do it someone else will do it.

• Real Use Case
  • Real world problem - I am from Eastern Europe and elections are rigged since 2011. It is not only PM/President elections it is local governance, everywhere.
  • If Cardano is considering itself revolutionary it is time to do that and show it’s potential.
  • The idea expands a bit above that and I have few other suggestions how to make that work. Please contact me if you consider the project viable and would like my assistance.

Many thanks and kind regards,

no1name

1 Like

I have been thinking about that too. Also as a basis for direct democracy.
My idea is that for direct democracy, there are no term elections.
And no parties. Only people to be elected to manage the various tasks of government.
Everyone has a vote on each tasks he/she is interested in, but can delegate his vote to someone
he trusts. In this way trust flows naturally to the most trusted persons.
In this way if an official misbehaves, he/she can be voted out immediately, without having
to wait for the next term.

I think the biggest challenge here is to make sure everyone has only one vote, without compromising
their identity.

Governance, Liquid Democracy, Incentivized Voting

2 Likes

Ron Rivest (yes, that Ron Rivest) recently published a paper about blockchain voting.

6 Conclusion

A summary of this article’s takeaways follows.

1. Blockchain technology does not solve the fundamental security problems suffered by all electronic voting systems §3. Moreover, blockchains may introduce new problems that non- blockchain-based voting systems would not suffer from.
  2. Electronic, online, and blockchain-based voting systems are more vulnerable to serious failures than available paper-ballot-based alternatives (§2). Moreover, given the state of the art in computer security, they will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.
  3. Adding new technologies to systems may create new potential for attacks. Particular cau- tion is appropriate in security-critical applications, especially where political pressures may favor an expedited approach. (§3.4).

The article has also provided a collection of critical questions intended as a reference point for evaluating any new voting system proposal from a security perspective (§4), and provided references for further reading on this topic (§5).

Blockchain-based voting methods fail to live up to their apparent promise. While they may appear to offer better security for voting, they do not help to solve the major security problems with online voting, and might well make security worse.

I appreciate your opinion backed by the paper however I believe we are making it more complicated than it should be. Please reconsider reading the entire post.

1. If it does not solve security problem where are we going on first place.
  2. I believe blockchain is good for few things, preventing double spending(preventing double voting), counting/auditing/ability to verify where your transaction went went(vote went)?
  3. It is not a new technology. It is very basic and simple. Public voting ledger.
    Please advise.

All eligible public keys receive an air drop of 1 voting token and they send that one token to the address they think deserves their vote.
It can be verified on the ledger that everyone has only one vote.
Their identity is hidden by their public key (ID number or any kind of verification number that is best suited chosen by the government standard.)

How will cardano make money of it:

• To start an election the government buy the calculated amount of ada for the service and send it to burn address. (Buying ada will increase the price = more funding and Reducing the supply will increase the price in long term avoiding inflation).

I referred to Rivest’s paper because it gives a good overview about prior research on the topic. He also has many useful references.

Elections are by no means a simple process in itself and blockchains don’t make it any easier. Just putting all votes on a public ledger is not nearly enough.

Take for example ballot secrecy. You want to ensure that a voter can’t prove what he voted for to a third party or it would open the possibility of coercion or vote selling. Therefore the naïve approach you describe (vote by sending tokens) doesn’t provide ballot secrecy because voters could trivially create cryptographic proof that they cast their vote in a particular way.

It would even be possible to create a smart contract that auctions your vote to the highest bidder.

And that is only one of many problems to solve before blockchain voting at country scale can become a reality. Impossible to solve? Maybe not, but certainly not easy.

1 Like

It’s great that your thinking and taking action on all of your ideas but Cardano is well on it’s way to on-chain voting.

You should get involved, her is a link to the telegram channel:

here is a link to the platform they are using for ideas that are being voted on during on-chain voting and current fund:
https://cardano.ideascale.com/a/campaign-home/25652

here is a link to the technical paper voting is based on:
"A Treasury System for Cryptocurrencies: Enabling Better Collaborative Intelligence”, by Bingsheng Zhang, Roman Oliynykov, and Hamed Balogun.

IOHK link (if the above one is not working):

This voting system isn’t geared towards election specifically but I believe voting on cardano going forward is going to start with this research… and use this systems backbone…
Join the telegram and ideascale. there are a lot of people talking about voting…

Thank you for this information.

Please refer to the Cardano video update from 3rd of December from Kevin Hammond where he explains that if we had the latest update a month ago it could have been used in the US election. Not having a go in any way, I just want to find the most reliable information and help the community and the project. Thank you for your time.

December 3rd Cardano monthly update
5,294 views•Premiered 20 hours ago
Please check the video on 1h:22min:35sec. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj9SlvOIBgU