Cardano + Ledger = is it possible?

Hello dear visitors.

I have question about Cardano. As we know there are many people that use ledger or trezor in the USA and other countries. For this reason I want to ask. Is it possible that ledger live will include cardano, because I have fear that money can be stolen. What do you think about this?

This is definitly possible.

However its already now possible to use a Ledger/Trezor device for storing your ADA but you have to use a 3rd party wallet like Yoroi, Adalite or Daedalus.

Ledger live is just a third party wallet app that include firmware and protocol app updates for their HW device. Since there is already a Cardano app for Ledger you can use your HW with the official Cardano wallets such as Daedalus and Yoroi as well as with other reputable third party wallets like Adalite, etc.

Generally speaking this is how hardware wallets work:

1. Generate seed, pin, and private key then store in secure EEPROM chip on device.
  2. Provide driver interface to use read-only private key to sign transactions without exposing key.
  3. MCU for display, buttons, etc for user interface.
  4. Install protocol app to SD card on device.
  5. These apps bridge between blockchain protocol and hardware API using the MCU signals.
  6. Use wallet application that can only talk to the running protocol bridge app of hardware device!

Note: since all tokens are actually stored on the blockchain you can receive payments, NFT, etc without using your HW wallet. You only need to connect it when you want to interface with a wallet or dapp, send tokens, or change stake pool delegations.

It’s not fool proof but if you have a large amount of holdings (whatever that means to you) it adds an extra layer of security.

To be clear: Ledger_Live will not include Cardano/ ADA.

However, a Ledger device like NanoX or S will (is) be able to “store” your ADAs. Therefore, you have to pair( connect) your Ledger-device to Daedalus or Yoroi or Adalite.

To be clear: Ledger_Live will not include Cardano/ ADA.

Not yet, but it will

Therefore, you have to pair( connect) your Ledger-device to Daedalus or Yoroi or Adalite.

After u will install cardano app on ledger

2 Likes

that’s right, thx:)

I mentionned to be clear but I wasn’t that much! XD

1 Like