Cardano-node (full) aarch64 binaries

Hi all

I’ve been playing with getting a full ARM64 version of cardano built and running, mainly for the Pi, but also to test AWS’s ARM processors. Inspired by this post on the haskell site, I had success using cabal 3.4.0.0 from here and ghc-8.10.2

Followed the instructions (again) from the stake pool school, apart from also having to sudo apt install llvm-9 and libnuma-dev, it compiles and is currently running as a relay node on an AWS ARM instance. It’s a 4GB RAM, 2 vCPU instance (I’d noticed on x86_64 VMs it was chewing through 2.4GB RAM and 1 vCPU didn’t cut it.) which I’ll leave running for a day or two before I add a BP node.

The other experiment is to get the compiled binaries and see if they’ll “just run” on a Pi.

I’ll report back…

3 Likes

So…

Copied the binaries compiled on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-1038-aws aarch64) to a Pi 4 4GB RAM running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-1029-raspi aarch64), sudo apt install llvm-9, copy a relatively up to date testnet db and config files, issue cardano-node run blah blah blah and

It’s these little successes that make being a geek so much fun :smile:

1 Like

You can follow the instructions here to prepare the Pi4 and then these to get up and running. The whole process should probably take less than 10min.

1 Like

Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply, it was your work and comments that inspired me to have a go at getting it compiled from scratch. I wanted to avoid using Raspbian as the base OS, hence compiling from scratch. I did have a look around the nessus-cardano project, got inspired again, will have to go learn Nix and see if I can contribute.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Lovely, that’s great to hear. If all goes well, we will eventually have most/all of that upstream. You can support that cause here and here.

This is great. I can confirm that I have also been able to build a 1.26.0 node on AWS ARM instances. specifically on the C6g class of instances. Thanks for posting this. I need those required packages :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been having a go at figuring out what’s happening on the nixOS build (Segmentation fault) issue. I suspect that the Boehm Garbage Collector (libgc, where the seg fault occurs) is having trouble with ARMs weak memory ordering model. I need to spend more time (if only there were more than 24 hours in a day!) with it to be certain.