Contabo as Cloud provider & minimum utilization RAM for 1.29v

Hi all,

this is Marc from Barcelona and I am currently setting up my first Cardano Stake pool with some colleagues! [LYNX]
One of my big concerns is: which Cloud Provider pick and why?
I’ve been working for several years with Azure and I love it, but I have the feeling that for those Relay & Producer nodes is too much, so this is why I was looking for a more simple VPS provider, like Contabo or Digital Ocean.
Why Contabo has these lower prices comparing with other companies? Maybe @Alexd1985 can give me a bit of good advice on that? I saw you promote them but I wanted to be sure that the performance is expected! :smile:
Reduce initial costs is one of my hot topics because to be honest, I do not expect to mine any block at all in the first months so…

Also, another concern I need to clarify is: how much RAM is nowadays is recommended? I saw some last posts saying that 8GB is not enough… should I move directly to a 16gb nodes with this new 1.29 version?
I don’t want to start everything and change the properties in a few days due to lack of memory…

Thanks for the support and have a great day all!

Marc VF

1 Like

Why Contabo has these lower prices comparing with other companies?** Maybe @Alexd1985 can give me a bit of good advice on that? I saw you promote them but I wanted to be sure that the performance is expected! :smile:

so, I am not promoting, I just provide an alternative to cheap VPS solutions; when I started last year I didn’t wanted to spend hundreds of $ for servers (I knew it I will not produce blocks)… for almost 7 months I never had issues with them, the servers are running smoothly and they have 3 DATA CENTERS around the world… I still have a server running on Contabo with 32G RAM which is costly me 17$…

but again, it’s up to you to do your research and choose the best service provider… as a hint you should use 2 providers… for example you can run the relays on contabo and the Producer on another provider…

Also, another concern I need to clarify is: how much RAM is nowadays is recommended? I saw some last posts saying that 8GB is not enough… should I move directly to a 16gb nodes with this new 1.29 version?

1.29.0 version it’s using ~9G so… will be better to start with at least 12G RAM, I know the prices are very high (in my opinion I don’t understand why so high…)

1 Like

I would also advocate for baremetal. The servers don’t need to be expensive and the overhead costs for power are very low.

1 Like

Of course… I forgot to mention, I invested my first profit to move the Producer at home … the best move ever ! but I am keeping one server on cloud… just in case

1 Like

First of all, thanks for the fast reply @jeremyisme @Alexd1985 !

Yes, the hybrid solution would be the best as my understanding but we wanted to start using fully Cloud infrastructure as we don’t have for the moment a robust solution in our home for preventing Net or Power outages…

Also, the RAM usage was my concern too as I recently read “problems” about the new version and I would not like to sacrifice monitoring or extra tools in my Linux distro to just maintain the memory usage below 8Gb, so probably, I will go for the Contabo solution as it is, by far, the best price / VPS configs I found for the moment!

Marc

1 Like

Hi Marc,

Hopefully you have set up the cloud solution for the Contibo or any other VPS provider.

Could you please let me know the topology for implementing the security risks with VPS any explicit firewall you are using and the Load balancers available to channel the traffic.

Thank you,

Madhu

Hey @madhu511,
my apologies, I did not see that message till today!

To set up our VPS machines security, we basically followed those coincashew steps:

I think following all these steps will secure your nodes 99,9%

Also in our case, we are not using load balancers. Just static IPs for each Relay (2) who are connected between them and to the Producer node, to have enabled a simple HA system.

Ping me if you need any kind of help :smiley: !

Marc - LYNX pool

1 Like

Thank you. Appreciate it.