Decentralized Discord dApp for Freedom of Speech Crisis?

Hello,

As some of you may have noticed, Big Tech is now mass purging every conservative platform Order 66 style. We just had our 30k member Discord server banned over false flags/gaslighting tactics. We fear our Reddit alternative will soon get banned. Even Twitter alternatives like Parler are now getting threatened by companies, including Apple. We are brainstorming a solution for a scalable decentralized form of freedom of speech. Is my understanding correct that dApps could host most modern websites and online applications? I know Cardano is more focused on the financial sector, but Iā€™m wondering how feasible it would be to host websites and open source equivalents of Discord on the blockchain.

Is it even possible with this technology?

Thanks!

1 Like

I believe volume of data presents a problem for such applications on blockchain.

Minds.com and Steemit run on Blockchain. I believe Steemit is on EOSIO. They scale well enough so far. Also Theta runs a YouTube decentralised version I believe. Element is decentralised messaging etc so yes you can do this. I guess Cardano is run by a company and so donā€™t want to draw the heat? Unless the governance is decentralised Cardano is open to authoritarian attack?

No. Itā€™s partially decentralized now and becoming more so all the time. Do your homework! :smile:

Steem forked to Hive and most of the community moved there. Steemit is now mostly garbage controlled by a single entity. You can check out Hive via one of the many front ends such as Peakd.com or LeoFinance.io 3speak dot co and D dot Buzz.

Btw, Steem was never on EOS but was created by the same developer, Dan Larimer.

1 Like

The reason Iā€™m not ā€œon boardā€ with Cardano right now precisely because you guys believe that there is such a thing as ā€œpartially decentralizedā€. Definition: ā€œA ā€˜decentralizedā€™ system is an interconnected ā€˜informationā€™ system where no single entity is the sole authority.ā€ The Cardano foundation has complete control of some aspects of governance therefore Cardano is not decentralised. Here is a quote from the Cardano web site so you donā€™t have to do your homeworkā€¦ā€œThe Cardano Foundation.
An independent standards body based in Switzerland with core responsibilities to oversee and supervise the development of Cardano and its ecosystem. The Cardano Foundation works to drive adoption, shape blockchain governance, set commercial standards, and support the community of Cardano users.ā€ Cardano | Discover Cardano

Itā€™s sheer fantasy to imagine that in this world a highly complex system can be fully decentralized from the start. Cardano was very deliberately designed to evolve from fully centralized to fully decentralized over several years because thatā€™s the only way it can happen. Fundamentalism is clinging to a few simple principles while ignoring practicalities.

3 Likes