How should Cardano pool operators deal with adversarial nodes causing forks?

there is a poll on twitter:

1 Like

Hello @laplasz,

I’ve seen discussions about this a lot lately, and yes - it brings a bad user experience right now, but people may have the impression that this is some kind of new found problem that suddenly occurred on the testnet and now is getting exploited, that is not the case.

But to be precise, it has been known and talked about for a very long time. Therefore it’s not a real technical concern. You can find many explanations in older posts here in the forum from @vantuz-subhuman, @SebastienGllmt and others why running multiple nodes with the same secret is one of the worst things you can do as a pool operator. (At least in the final implementation)

So, please note that this isn’t due to a lack of oversight, but more like because not everything is implemented in the testnet yet.

4 Likes

Tommy,
This question is for any one to answer, not directed at you. Since this is a problem that is “known and talked about for a very long time” does this mean there is a known fix?

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I have worked along side software engineers for quite some time and I have seen “known problems” sit unsolved for months and years because sometimes the fix is too expensive or too complicated to do in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks,
Rick

2 Likes

At least it means that IOHK should have done something about it already long time ago. In the testnet they want to see how the system behaves with incentives, so they expect everyone to act in a selfish way. If a selfish behaviour breaks the system, it’s not the fault of the people acting selfish but on the system.

I hope that IOHK reacts quickly with an update that solves this problem and that everyone goes on to try to break the system so that it can be hardened during ITN.

1 Like

Here are the results for people who do not have Twitter.

2 Likes