How to set up a POOL in a few minutes - and register using CNTOOLS

It does not ask for the password of the new user when attempting to login.

did u gave the new user sudo rights?
can u type:
cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep User

Hello, i have recently started your guide and am running into an issue when executing the dependencies script. The script errors your and says yum --allowerasing is not a valid command and stops before installing any dependencies. If I install the dependencies myself can i execute your other scripts?

can u show me the error please?

OK, I didn’t know

no problem, it’s for security, anyway… you gave your user sudo rights? if now you are logged with the old user can you type:
sudo su- new_user (insert the password and check if it is ok)

Here is the copy of the commands from cd “$HOME/tmp” and error as i have already created the directory

This is on the same Amazon Linux 2 AMI that is recommended in the stake pool school video im using an instance with 8gb ram and 2 cpus

I like your updated list thank you for your help and quick response

And sorry for the delay i started a new instance and tried again to see if it would work and got the same error as posted above

it’s seems you can’t install the prerequisits… perhaps u have some restrictions?

Cheers,

I guess you are using the AWS linux AMI. removing this option from the script will let you proceed with the prereq installation, but this will not guarantee the rest of the installation :frowning:
at the end I was obliged to switch to the ubuntu1804 AMI in order to continue the installation …

1 Like

Thank u for let us know , indeed I used ubuntu

this video is not reliable one, he start the installation with AWS linux AMI, but in the middle he switch to ubuntu AMI without mentionning this !! I also lose a lot of time until I noticed this tricky video montage !

1 Like

Thank you very much I will launch a new instance in ubuntu and give it a try, you and @sunosa have been wonderful, thank you

2 Likes

I believe I have started building my node. Thank you for your direction and support

2 Likes

Hi Alex,
My pool is doing well. I now have 3 nodes because I added a node located in the USA (Missouri). It seems more active (number of peers) than the other two located in Germany. For now, I am monitoring everything with gliveview, checking every day that the core-node is properly connected to the 3 relays and vice versa. Sometimes there are some weird errors in the peer list (cubic: cubic). If I restart the cnode, everything is fine. So, I don’t worry too much … I also wonder how to monitor the whole thing in a more detailed way. I watched Grafana and EKG. What do you recommend ? What do you think is the best tutorial to install Grafana for example?
There remains the question of the rewards, my pool is a small pool and, from what I understand, I have really little chance of getting any rewards… I set the promise to zero and I delegated from Yoroi all my ADA (2.2k) to my pool. Do you think I did well?

Formely, I administered some “securenodes” at Horizen for 3 years (with a stake of 42 zen). We were paid according to the actual availability of the nodes, but we were still paid! What surprises me about Cardano is that this parameter does not seem to me to be taken into account. Am I wrong ?

That said your tutorial is great and excellent, thank you once again for this work, as well as for the diligent support you provide to beginners…

Cheers

Thank you :slight_smile:

I also wonder how to monitor the whole thing in a more detailed way. I watched Grafana and EKG. What do you recommend ? What do you think is the best tutorial to install Grafana for example?

For grafana, see the tutorial bellow (install grafana on one of ur Relay

U can use my dashboard to import in grafana

on server node edit your prometheus yaml file
here’s mine:

# Here it's Prometheus itself.
scrape_configs:
  - job_name: 'BP_cnode'
    static_configs:
    - targets: ['PRODUCER_IP:12798']
      labels:
        instance: "Producer"
  - job_name: 'BP_node_exporter'
    static_configs:
    - targets: ['PRODUCER_IP:9091']
      labels:
        instance: "Producer"
  - job_name: 'Relay1_cnode'
    static_configs:
    - targets: ['RELAY_1_NODE_EXPORTER_IP:12798']
      labels:
        instance: "Relay1"
  - job_name: 'Relay1_node_exporter'
    static_configs:
    - targets: ['RELAY_1_NODE_EXPORTER_IP:9091']
      labels:
        instance: "Relay1"
  - job_name: 'Relay2_cnode'
    static_configs:
    - targets: ['127.0.0.1:12798']
      labels:
        instance: "Relay2"
  - job_name: 'Relay2_nexporter'
    static_configs:
    - targets: ['127.0.0.1:9091']
      labels:
        instance: "Relay2"

Relay 2 is the server for grafana in my case

1. on Relay 2 I have opened:

9090/tcp ALLOW 127.0.0.1
12978/tcp ALLOW 127.0.0.1
9091/tcp ALLOW 127.0.0.1

1. on my other nodes I opened in FW to accept connections from my server to ports 12798 and 9091 (from grafana node server)

u must edit the config file for all nodes (the promotheus IP must be 0.0.0.0) and restart the nodes

“hasPrometheus”: [
“0.0.0.0”,

you can try and after, restart the services

sudo systemctl restart grafana
sudo systemctl status grafana

sudo systemctl restart prometheus
sudo systemctl status prometheus

also install chrony for a better time synchronization

There remains the question of the rewards, my pool is a small pool and, from what I understand, I have really little chance of getting any rewards… I set the promise to zero and I delegated from Yoroi all my ADA (2.2k) to my pool. Do you think I did well?

Yes, u did well; indeed the chances are low but there are, try to attract people to delegate to ur pool

Formely, I administered some “securenodes” at Horizen for 3 years (with a stake of 42 zen). We were paid according to the actual availability of the nodes, but we were still paid! What surprises me about Cardano is that this parameter does not seem to me to be taken into account. Am I wrong ?

I understood that the rewards formula will be changed… who knows , maybe also pools which are not creating blocks will receive a % of rewards … but nothing was announced so…

Cheers,

1 Like

Big thank you Alex for your dashboard…
On the question of the remuneration of the pools which do not mint blocks, it seems to me that this would be justice: of course, we do not bring to the community a contribution in currency (although there is a stake of 500 ADAs for each pool), but we make a contribution in kind (provision of an infrastructure and its maintenance). Our community should have the means to assess this contribution. We, the SPOs of small pools, do not ask to be paid as if we had minted blocks, but that would be fair to take into account our contribution to the community. The odd thing about Cardano system is that the maintenance fees are only paid if the pool is minting blocks. The pools that do not mint also bear these costs: something is wrong… What is likely to happen is that the SPOs of these small pools get discouraged and withdraw their pools. We are far from the objectives of decentralization and democracy defended by Georges Hoskinson! We must be careful that the Cardano ecosystem does not become a sort of censal plutocracy (or Ponzi scheme, where the latest arrivals pay for the others …).
As for advertising your pool, let’s be realistic, only pools that get rewards are eligible to receive delegations. There is really little chance that someone who has just bought ADAs will delegate them to a small pool without reward, even if it displays humanitarian and charitable purposes. Only the very rich will be able to afford this luxury! But small carriers will obviously be looking for a return on their investment.
Okay, this might not be the place to discuss this, but at least you know what I think !
Cheers

1 Like

Hei… u don’t need to pay nothing if u will not create blocks (only the servers cost) … and even u will create blocks … the 340 cost + margin fees will go to the pool wallet… that is, to you :wink:

Yes, you’re right, but that’s only because I’ve delegated my adas to my own pool…

Nope, u will receive separate rewards for that amount delegated…

When u create a block forst cost + margin are deducted from total rewards… the amount remained goes to delegators… u delegated? U are a delegator to ur pool…

So, as a Pool Operator u will receive:

• cost
  • margin
  • rewards for pledge
  • rewards for delegation