How to set up a POOL in a few minutes - and register using CNTOOLS

next step, next issue…
step 2
tried to start the build, but when it gets to
$CNODE_HOME/scripts/cabal-build-all.sh -o
it can’t find the file.

so i tried to figure out where it gets that from, in the .bashrc its # 'ed out

your script entry into the .bashrc

[ -f "/home/architect41/.ghcup/env" ] && source "/home/architect41/.ghcup/env" # ghcup-envexport CNODE_HOME=/opt/cardano/cnode
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

and if i do an
ECHO $CNODE_HOME
it just returns a blank line.

not sure what the correct way would be to set that up, i could try to fill it in since its just an env variable and my node home i guess…
but building upon an error this early will most likely come back and bite me later in the steps.

and again it wouldn’t really solve the issues for others trying to use the guide later…
i’m on the most recent version of ubuntu server, is there another better distro i should be using.
i can see the tar ball it downloads is for something else.

are u using the guide for ubuntu OS?

the guide is fine, was tested and used many times before

yes i’m following your guide using ubuntu server 21.10 with a default clean install.
maybe i should try it on 20.04

From my experience this command will not run if u copy all commands (bulk) from STEP 1, u will need to run it as ONE command

. "${HOME}/.bashrc"

the error with ghc, indeed can happens because the ghc was updated recently

tried running each command by itself, pretty sure that didn’t work for me either.
also just tried to run it, and then do the build sequence, but still didn’t work.
and did the source thing, tho didn’t save that command… and i can’t find it right now

going to try 20.04 and see what happens.

I have exactly the same problem. I get /scripts/cabal-build-all.sh: No such file or directory

If you got that it’s commented out, did you just try to uncomment it?

Definitely looks like there just was a newline erroneously deleted and it should read:

[ -f "/home/architect41/.ghcup/env" ] && source "/home/architect41/.ghcup/env" # ghcup-env
export CNODE_HOME=/opt/cardano/cnode
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
1 Like

It seems to actually be this part of prereqs.sh:

It’s not written very defensively: If your .bashrc didn’t end in a newline before starting this script, it will append the export to the last line of your previous .bashrc instead of putting it on a new line. Tada: This error ensues if the previous last line ended in a comment. Or maybe worse errors if it had not ended in a comment. (Most good editors let files always end in a newline, so this will be rare, but it happens.)

Also: The if only checks if the string CNODE_HOME appears anywhere in .bashrc. If you have commented it out or just tried to use it without setting it or … the script will think that it’s already set.

Who maintains these scripts?

1 Like

i corrected the .bashrc
and did a source .bashrc
now it seems to run thanks for the help.
must be a change in the default .bashrc file from ubuntu server 20.04 to 21.10

i think @Alexd1985 created these scripts.
but duno, and i’m not really a shark at linux… yet.

Nope, the line before that (the one that did not end the file like prereqs.sh expexted it) was:

That is not from Ubuntu, that is from you or some guide you followed or some script you ran.

Anyway, good if it’s sorted!

it’s a fresh ubuntu server 21.10 install, i only ran the step 1 and 2 scripts from this guide.
3rd issue in 2 steps :smiley: doesn’t bode well lol

Then, ghcup added that automatically. It is installed just before that in prereqs.sh.

Wishing you more luck for the rest of the process!

1 Like

the scripts are not managed by me, perhaps they made few changed but yes, the line

export CNODE_HOME=/opt/cardano/cnode

should not be commented inside bashrc file
If this is a bug, the team will fix it and I believe it can be recorded (the bug) here

Should be fixed in the near future: prereqs.sh: Improve addition to .bashrc · Issue #1379 · cardano-community/guild-operators · GitHub

1 Like

Great, :beers: :muscle:

1 Like

it worked… in the process of updating the blockchain on the testnet, ofc this will take some hours.
will continue onward tomorrow and report any other issues i run into.
so we can streamline this process a bit more for the next persistent soul that seeks to join the cardano node operator crowd.
with only a few thousand nodes, its a given that the path still needs clearing.
atleast this guide actually got me to a point of nodes that is syncing…
after a bit of problem solving and competent help.

The scripts are continuesly changing so this will not guarantee the 100% functionality in the future… anyway congrats

I’m trying to build a new relay. I’m at STEP3. When trying to; nano env it shows blank page unlike when I try doing the same thing on existing relay (which is operational) as shown in the picture. What am I doing wrong and how to solve it? Thank you.

Left is new relay I’m trying to setup. Right is the working one

I see not enough data read?
what is the size of the env file?
also you can download a new env file from here
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cardano-community/guild-operators/alpha/scripts/cnode-helper-scripts/env

use wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cardano-community/guild-operators/alpha/scripts/cnode-helper-scripts/env

env file wasn’t modified recently so, it should be fine

I’ve tried downloaded a new one from your link. When nano env, it still shows the same “error reading lock file…”

The size of env is as in th
env size
e picture. Thank for your help