How to start from the scratch?

@junpinmtl you can’t buy Ada directly from within the wallet. Youll need to trade BTC or ETH for it on an exchange like Binance or Bittrex. Then you can transfer it off the exchange into your Daedalus wallet.

2 Likes

When will you save ADA on Leager Blue can?
Solage will no longer invest in ADA.

Support for the Ledger is on the roadmap, but no timeline for it yet.

Hello. thanks for detailed and clear explanations. It really helped me understand cardano and ada better.

Once the staking begins, how much ada do you suppose a single laptop running regular cpu(intel core2duo 2ghz) could potentially create in an hour or a day?

would it be worth it to get a computer with a gpu?

Hi bo_reddude,
Please do not go buy a laptop with gpu for staking :slight_smile:
Ada does not use mining, so your computer power is only relevant in terms of being able to build, run and sign a block if chosen.
But you don’t need a high power GPU, etc. for that.

How much you earn in a day is directly related to how much Ada you hold and stake. I would say offhand the odds of getting a reward every day are very low unless you have 7 or better 8, figures of Ada and/or are in a staking pool.

If you are in a large pool then you may get a small reward on a more frequent basis vs. staking solo where you could wait a year plus to get anything (again varying based on your stake total relative to total stake in the system).

Anyway, my main point is don’t think that you need to go buy excessive computing power as Ada does not use mining like most other currencies. Rather, it’s staking only which is a great benefit for the environment and avoids the need for excessive computing power to mint rewards via block signing.

Hope you are doing well!

2 Likes

You don’t create/mine Ada this way , instead you loan your voting power to a delegate with sufficient hardware power (probably higher than a normal PC, maybe not) and you earn the stake incentive… you can keep all your votes/stake power for yourself and run a node , probably with a high end PC and internet , but your reward will be lower due to law of probability/compounding interest

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply. I guess I need to learn more about staking vs mining. I see there is a pool which i joined with my email. Do you know when the software to stake will be released? It seems it’s 75% done.

thank you for the reply. I need to figure out how it all works. this is very complicated, then again cryptography is a field for genius and they came up with it, so no wonder it’s so complicated.

Hi Bo_reddude,
Staking timelines are not final, but a basic expectation based on comments from Charles are:
1 - Feb = approving of up to 100 stake pools
2 - March = stake pools practice run on private test net
3 - April = Live staking begins
That could slip back a bit, but a best guess at this point is live staking in April or May.
Note that staking is a perm feature of Ada protocol, so once it starts then it’s a perm part of the network.

Finally, I have seen (unconfirmed) reports that the staking rewards would be maximum for the first 2.5 years, then halve continuously every other year ala BitCoin model.

So, if you can start staking in April or May, you’ll be in on the ground floor :slight_smile:
Hope that helps!

3 Likes

In a couple of the last interviews I have seen from Charles, he mentioned June as the possible date for Shelley release, maybe later. Hopefully he is just being extra conservative. I’ll try to find links.

(edit) This was published Feb 1, 2018 https://youtu.be/22U2U8Zb39w?t=33m9s

At the 2:27.30 mark, Charles estimates the Shelley release with be “in a few months, maybe June, maybe later.” So it seems he might be suggesting late Q2 or later.

1 Like

Cardano is one of the simplest and most complicated “coins” in the space, at the same time. Since (large scale adoption) software for “everyone” is extra hard for this coin, the development takes more time, and right now, the software itself is not as easy to use as currency as PayPal, visa, or Bitcoin.

This is only temporary.

Many people see the cardano project and Ada as being uniquely amazing code… it is … it is just not at the level of development and distribution of it’s final goals… it is so to speak, in it’s infancy compared to Bitcoin.

Ada is not the “get rich, quick, hopefully” coin . It is the “gain value, slower, 100% more reliable” coin. In a couple years I hope we will have some bluetooth / local cast exchange , or at least some vetted Reddit mods… but right now, it is the time to sow the seeds and water them, and wait.

1 Like