Lobbies servers and in game currencys

This template is only a small help for the correct use of the category. Please delete things that do not apply :arrow_heading_down:

Project introduction
Name: Alcove

Description: a location for mingling and meeting other people with light refreshments and socials.
GitHub: will be added soon enough

Reason: direction to help a newby coder
Project scope: quite massive
voluntary

Hi, I am looking for some vague guidance on a project I am planning out.
I need to know the answers to these[1] questions and then some advice on this[2] strategy.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you wish to help further some pay will be involved, just pop me a msg in here.

[1] first of all, i will need to know if i can launch my own token on the cardano blockchain or how this would work, as in if i cannot can i release a secondary token and side chain it to work alongside cardanos functionality?
secondly, this might be a simple question but i am new to coding so please bare with me, would i be able to launch servers off the cardano blockchain and rent them out for set fees?
finally, which software from cardanos offering do i use for interaction with speech facilities such as voice to create a server like state where people can chat with entry tracked on the blockchain?

That answers all my questions so far for the project, now i will get into the more technical stuff i was thinking.

[2] if there is a high tick rate game, as in hands being played and dealt on a server will a blockchain be able to interact with a server hosting the game and record the dealings at each interval, plus will this get too big and if so, how should i approach coding this with side chains?
[3] secondly, how easy is it to create an fx for trading from a in game currency to many multiple actual currencies and if so (i know this isnt a technical question) what law do i need to abide by for fx, and in game purchases (i am uk based but this will be a global venture so i am open to any advise)
[4] how much will it roughly cost to constantly run a server hosting voice channels and maybe some games and a visible live space roughly per unit cost, i have seen some quotes on this but i want to know the cheapest most cost effective.

Thanks that is all for now and I will update this as we go.

Cheers,

Mauro

Hello and welcome @mau664,

1.) launching a token on Cardano is very easy. I recommend playing around on Cardano Testnet to understand how everything works. Best to start here: https://developers.cardano.org/docs/native-tokens/. You can use tools or do the minting manually by creating transactions.

The part in your question, “launching servers off Cardano blockchain,” needs more clarification. I can’t imagine what that means. (it could mean running stake pools or providing some service, but I’m not sure ) You probably do not want to track (voice) chats on a blockchain, but you certainly can do that. If you tell what your goal is, it’s easier to answer. If you want to prove that a chat has happened or that it was not altered, there are other, cheaper ways. (like hash it and provide a link together with the hash and store that on a blockchain)

2.) this is also a design question of the game: what is the goal of storing all the hands being played? And why should anyone want to store that in real time? What goal are you pursuing? If you want to prove the game is not rigged, there are cheaper solutions for this.

If you are trying to put a lot of data in real-time on layer 1 of a blockchain, the design could be better. Otherwise, the answer is similar to the above: It is possible (if the data is not too huge for the natural limits of the chain), but too expensive and a complete waste of resources. It will not make economic sense in most of cases.

3.) I can’t really give advice here. I’m not a lawyer, it definitely depends on the country and the customers and laws there.

4.) Based on the information you have given, I don’t think anyone can answer that with a clear conscience. The design of how the project deals with “blockchain” seems a bit flawed to me. Most of the time, you pay for servers based on resources and traffic. You can run “some games and some voice channels” on one cheat virtual server for 10 dollars per month or pay several thousand per month for a load-balanced server cluster.

2 Likes

great, @adatainment

This answers a few issues I had, I feel the voice commands on blockchain being saved aren’t important, but to know that meetings have been held is- I can probably use a scheduling events tool for this.

For your first point, I mean having the potential for users to buy into providing stake for a stake pool but also just renting server space, ie to host a lobby or chat. I’m right in saying you could provide voice chat servers on blockchain even if its not fully provided by layer 1 tech?

1. that is a good point, i suppose for ensuring the hands are legit but only really the chips would need to be recorded and the hand verified at the time.

Otherwise, great thank you @adatainment . i will have a look at the testnet and see what i can create.

Cheers,

Mauro

Blockchain is not conducive to storing large quantities of ephemeral data quickly.

Thus there is very little value to game state data being integrated with any transactions because of this. Even something as trivial as tracking experience for an RPG character sheet that I had researched years ago was ultimately a bad idea that was cost prohibitive and unnecessarily complex.

BaaS/Voice/chat/etc services and clients are a dime a dozen these days. So while you could accept crypto payments for subscription to something like a game lobby hosting concept from decades ago (popular in early 2000s for bridging the gap between LAN and Internet hosted multi-player)

I think today you would find it easier to simply integrate with an existing SDK/API for match making for free. Also gaining the benefit of existing player bases on established platforms in the process. (steamworks, consoles, mobile, etc)

All that said as a self-proclaimed newbie you have roughly three major core concepts rolled into one here that may indicate some refinement and focus on what you really want to achieve.

• Learning technology (coding, networking, blockchain, etc)
  • Making an idea (business plan, feasibility analysis, funding a team, etc)
  • Blockchain project (which depends greatly on the previous concepts)

This of course is a wild generalization that could be applied to anything but the point I am trying to make is before launching a project you will likely need to put a lot more thought into what it is and isn’t!

1 Like