Missed slot leader checks

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear that this seems to be working for you. I have already tried this, and unfortunately for me, it didn’t change anything.

I am using this for the last two and a half epochs and i am at 0 missed slots except at epoch change +RTS -N -H3G -qg -qb --nonmoving-gc -RTS
I tried a lot of parameters but this is the only one that is so stable and with 0 missed slots.
A really important note, parameters tested vary from a machine to another, HW plays an important role so don’t expect the same parameters to work on everyone.
For the one i am currently using 16GB are not enough, i got 32 so i am good.
Don’t look to just copy someone else parameters, play around depending on your system,
to understand more about the options read 5.7. Running a compiled program — Glasgow Haskell Compiler 9.2.1 User's Guide

1 Like

Hi guys, just a point. I was just updating to cardano node to 1.31.0 by following this awesome post → Update Cardano Node to 1.31.0 - for Coincashew users

But when running ghcup upgrade command I was getting this message → ghcup: Most RTS options are disabled. Link with -rtsopts to enable them.

To resolve this, I had to clear the environment variable GHCRTS which was set as -N -T -I0 -A16m --disable-delayed-os-memory-return --nonmoving-gc from the above on trying to reduce the missing slot leader checks. This was cleared by running unset GHCRTS, and I now can subsequently upgrade :+1:

Thanks for the advice. I will look into this :+1:

1 Like

@Xpriens
Do you have the +RTS -N -H3G -qg -qb --nonmoving-gc -RTS in the startBlockProducingNode.sh file on the line cardano-node run --topology..... or as the GHCRTS environment variable? Thanks

only on the node’s start up script, no reason to use it anywhere else

:+1: Thanks

cardano-node +RTS -N -H3G -qg -qb --nonmoving-gc -RTS run .....
to be more precise

Hi, I’ve tried it both in the startBlockProducingNode.sh file and as a GHCRTS environment variable. Neither seemed to make much of a difference

What exactly do you mean? You still have missed slot checks or no difference on system load?

Oh yeah - if people are still strugging with this, try the following:

+RTS -N(num of PHYSICAL CPUs) -xn -G2 -T -S -A128m -n1m -C0 -I0.3 -Iw3600 -O4000m -RTS

I think the magic is in -C0 - this tells GHC to do as MANY context switches as it can and not wait the default 20ms before trying to context switch.

-O4000m means don’t do old GC before it reaches 4000 MB. -n1m means split up chunks in heap to 1 MB

4 Likes

but on version 8.10.7 right?

If possible, yes. 8.10.7 has improvements for non copying GC

1 Like

When I tried before, I had tried both variations but neither made any difference, I still had missed slot checks. But today, I updated the startBlockProducingNode.sh file with what you suggested cardano-node +RTS -N -H3G -qg -qb --nonmoving-gc -RTS run ..... (I had variations of this before) and fingers crossed, but it seems to be working - after 3 hours 45 minutes I have no missed slots

3 Likes

great keep us informed and if it won’t work take a look at @weebl2000 post

1 Like

23 hours and zero missed slot leader checks :pray: :pray: :bowing_man:

Thanks so much

nice but keep checking, 23h is not that much. goal is the 0 missed slot checks but also check system health over time to make sure everything is fine.

1 Like

I don’t understand why the system continually uses more and more memory. I thought the whole point of proof of stake is that you didn’t need to buy a bunch of expensive hardware. The growth of needed ram combined with the network speed requirements is shifting cardano off from it’s purported goal of democratizing the block chain.

1 Like

The leaderlog it will use more RAM while is checking for blocks asigned… anyway the team is working to optimize the node… let’s wait for the next version

I’m using Contabo for my BP and Relay with 16GB ram and 6 cores. I get about .3-.5% average missed slots on node version 1.33. Would love to be part of this conversation as you all learn more about the best configs to get closer to 0.

Thank you for all the great advice and contributions!