My pool set-up, would it work?

Thank you very much for the sound advice! :slight_smile: Do you have any recommendation for not the expensive hardware that I can operate my cloud nodes from 24/7?

I am actually from Germany and would also prefer to not necessarily use AWS. Just checked out start and it seems like they are quite a bit cheaper, but have equal quality servers! :slight_smile: What server configuration are you running on?

There are quite a few big providers, like Digital Ocean or Vultr who are both pretty good but also pretty expensive. ($20 a month for 2 core 4Gb servers - the minimum current spec you’d need)
Small providers are a bit harder to find (in my experience) but can be a lot cheaper. Strato someone mentioned up there and I see they are in germany and have 8Gb/4 Core 100GB server for 5 euro a month, which is pretty good. Might be a problem if they go down though. Similarly Contabo is another german and usa provider with very cheap vps 2 core 4Gb 300Gb is only 3.99 euro a month but has a setup fee and a setup time. The big providers spin up instances without fees and in an instant, you can make them destroy them make another etc, every 5 mins all day long if you wish, you are billed by the hour usually. I think the smaller ones are a bit less flexible.

The other route you mention is running at home. If you already have 1000M/1000M fibre you are easily good enough to run from home. You don’t need really powerful hardware, I’ve heard of RasPi4 running as nodes but their reliability might be a bit suspect. But maybe you have several running with backups for relays and bps? Also the need for static IP addresses and the concern that you might have a ddos attack, means just one IP address is a bit of a problem?

I have a hybrid. Some at home, some on vps server(s). Its a matter of what your budget is and partly what your understanding is, though the second of those does improve over time…

Also how good is your home power. You might consider buying a UPS

1 Like

I am actually from Germany and would also prefer to not necessarily use AWS. Just checked out start and it seems like they are quite a bit cheaper, but have equal quality servers! :slight_smile: What server configuration are you running on?
Quality of servers is not necessarily the same just because they are the same spec (eg 2 cores 4Gb 100Gb SSD) what about connectivity to internet backbone. What about uptime. By the way 99% uptime means they could be down 3 days a year 99.9% means they could be down 9 hours per year. I’m thinking about my home systems and are they actually down that much?