New Website design is terrible. Discuss here

Why when there is a criticism about something, does it turn in to a passionate, strawman ego based argument.

Previously I felt my opinion was completely worthless on the topic, because CF seemed so adamant about how amazing their new website was, and any criticism seemed to get fairly quickly attacked or brushed under the carpet as in this thread. At one point you risked getting banned if you talked about it in the telegram channel.

Granted: most of the critiques were not detailed or were about graphic design (subjective) which is hard to act upon, but my critique is about the arrangement of content and the written content itself.
My opinion is probably still worthless on the topic, but I am a little reinvigorated by my dealings with the community most recently regarding my opinions on the Cardano Foundation. So I have a bit more hope that eventually some of my/community opinions regarding the website might get listened to in the future.

Personally I think the website is not good enough RELATIVE to the amount of money given to McCann to do it. I don’t know how much that was, but basically any amount was too much in my opinion. A lot of what I consider the great content was not made by McCann.
I believe some kind of community competition or community collaboration would have produced something better or at least of equal quality and cheaper. It could have been voted on. Doing that would have been more in line with Cardano ‘values’ in my opinion. Outsourcing to some (maybe big) marketing corporation not related to Cardano, was a fail in itself in my opinion.

Reading McCann corporate spiel is cringe worthy for me: https://mccanndublin.com/work/project-renovare/
“We undertook extensive brand planning to understand one of the most complex technological platforms present globally.”
"We reappraised and rebuilt the Cardano brand model; defining the purpose, position, values, behaviours, and proposition. Giving a sense of internal direction to the brand and product itself. "

Do they not realise that all they noticeably achieved was make a website, and some graphic design (which personally I don’t like very much). Is it really that incredible. Is it really that difficult to create a reasonable website that already had great content that just needed to be organised. These question are rhetorical because I think the answers are no. Personally I wouldn’t want to be associated with this company.

But just saying criticism, without solution or suggestion, doesn’t help.

###############################################################
So here are some of my amateur assessments about improving the website should any one be interested or want to do something about it in the future.

• I’m pretty sure someone wrote something detailed like this in a reddit thread but I can’t find it. I would like to post it here and any other relevant critiques.
  • NicName raises good points here that are completely unaddressed: New Cardano website is now live
    Here in lies the problem of Cardano Foundation in my opinion - they seem disconnected and uninterested in negative community feedback: as detailed here : What is Cardano Foundations output? What do you do

I’m looking at the website as if I am a new investor doing due-dilligence.
As a potential investor I google Cardano. The first thing that comes up is the website.

(1)
The front page says:
“Making The World Work Better For All”
“Cardano is a blockchain platform for changemakers”
“Our World Is Changing. Together, We Can Change It For The Better.”
“A History Of Impossible, Made Possible”
“Define Your Possible. Change Your World.”
“We have changed science. We have changed what it means to build global systems and sustainable models of exchange and governance.” (You haven’t changed science :wink: :smiley: )
“We, alongside our community and partners, are defining a new future: a decentralized future without intermediaries, in which power is returned to the individual.” (Actually CF you don’t listen to the individual or community opinion)

Maybe people are impressed by these words?
But to me, this is wordy nonsense with no content, typical of the current paradigm in a corporate marketing team that knows nothing technical. At least “We have changed science.” gave me a laugh.
As an investor, I skip through all of it trying to find some useful information. This starts to make me feel slightly negative towards investing in Cardano.
The one comment that does have content, specifically “Cardano is the first blockchain platform to be built through peer-reviewed research”, I glanced over so quickly that my mind ignored it because I’m starting to ignore the many unsubstantiated comments alongside that: “to be secure enough to protect the data of billions, scalable enough to accommodate global systems, and robust enough to support foundational change.”

I won’t post every critique on every sentence, because I believe I made my point

As an alternative to the above, please see here : https://roadmap.cardano.org/en/ What is cardano blurb has content, and not just fancy words.

(2) NEWS at the bottom:
August 4th “Cardano elevates its branding” is the latest news…
What about Shelley 2.0 release. Branding is the most important thing Cardano has to offer? As an investor i’m starting to become uninterested.
Travesty.

(3) Partners:
I click on partners and it doesn’t refer me to IOHK’s or Emurgos much more superior websites and teams. It’s a wordy blurb for each of them instead. Please give a link to the website of these companies. Crazy.

(4) The forum is reasonable, but it would be good to see a link of the many other mediums where information is posted. IOHK youtube, Charles’ youtube…

So the front page is a complete disappointment in regards to content in my opinion. I also don’t like the graphics but that’s personal preference and relatively unimportant in my opinion.

(5) Moving on TO DROP DOWN MENUS:

• I don’t see any ‘team’ on here and that is the one of the first things an investor will look at. Why the hell is IOHK’s and Emurgos extensive amazing teams not promoted here on the website. The reality is that these teams ARE Cardano, but they aren’t really represented as it.

• Developers/individuals/enterprise/discovercardano/journey. All very odd names of categories and the content contained within them does not strictly relate to the category. Disconcerting again.

• Developers dropdowns:
    CARDANO DOCS: It’s good. I like the arrangement. It is for developers.
    CARDANO ROADMAP: Is so good. This should not be hidden away in a drop down menu for developers. This should be on the front page one of the first things we read. The blurb ‘what is Cardano’ has content unlike everything on the front page. Put that on the front page - it’s impressive to me.
    Every one of those developer dropdowns is high quality. Cardano docs which is the first one and takes the most space is actually the least detailed and most basic.

• Individuals dropdowns:
    WHAT IS ADA, STAKE DELEGATION. DAEDELUS/YOROI WALLET. Good. Explanations of the basics should have links on the front page!!! Isn’t this obvious? Not hidden in a drop down menu titled ‘individuals’ and cluttered with other useless links like DISCOVER CARDANO.

DISCOVER CARDANO is too much corporate blurb with limited substantiated content like the front page. In fact this could replace the front page - it’s basically the same but at least it has links to other useful pages which should be on the front page. “Purpose,Opportunity”. Next to the blurb a graphic of a person with their fist in the air, that looks like it got pulled from clip art. Painful to read and a waste of my time. I guess this is what McCann bring to the table.
I would delete this whole page of useless no information.

• ENTERPRISE is fine. But very strange title, implying this information isn’t for the individual investor.

• DISCOVER CARDANO. The worst page of them all gets it’s own drop down menu as well as being contained in the ‘Individuals’ drop down menu. Comedically, this drop down menu links to each 4 paragraphs of that discover cardano page. This is such a big design oversight. Did a professional company really get paid to create this website? Did any one check the website thoroughly before release? Really really crazy. Please just delete this dropdown menu completely. Or replace it with CARDANO ROADMAP!

Hidden last on that menu after the links to each paragraph of the DISCOVER CARDANO page is OUROBORUS. A very important aspect of Cardano showing content. So sooo strange.

• JOURNEY: What has explorer, research and development updates got to do with ‘journey’. Just put Cardano Roadmap with it’s own link. Explorer, research and development updates are already contained within ‘developers’ menu. Why are they repeated.

In summation. I really don’t understand how any one who went through the whole website could honestly say it was well designed. (If design means organisation and not just graphic design)
There is good content there but it’s arranged completely haphazardly.
On the bright side. It wouldn’t take long to arrange it, and not much would need to change to improve the website vastly.

Please at least delete the Discover Cardano drop down menu, or ideally the whole page. That in itself would make the site significantly better.
And then consider dropping the blurbs on the front page and replacing it with the pages WHAT IS ADA, STAKE DELEGATION. DAEDELUS/YOROI WALLET and CARDANO ROADMAP as links.

Cont…
I’ve only just noticed the tiny unbold font " I want to… DEVELOP, GOVERN, OPERATE, DISCOVER ADA" on the front page. Who is going to come on the website and go “yes I want to govern! click!” Are we expecting the Nigerian prime minister specifically for this section.
Or maybe a Surgeon will frequent the page and go “yes, I want to operate!, click”

‘Develop’ links to Cardano docs. Ok. But you already have a dropdown for developers containing all of the information for developers so you don’t need one link to the weakest page.

‘Govern’ doesn’t seem to have a drop down link, so if you miss the tiny font here you miss it completely ,and it’s actually important content about Voltaire. It should be more clear on the front page alongside WHAT IS ADA, STAKE DELEGATION. DAEDELUS/YOROI WALLET and CARDANO ROADMAP.

‘Operate’ seems to link to another stake pool delegation page very similar to the stake pool operation page. Those pages should be combined.

‘Discover ada’ links to WHAT IS ADA and is in the drop down menu. But I agree it should also be on the front page in MUCH MUCH bigger font.

4 Likes