Precompiled executables giving error "Error while looking up environment variable: CARDANO_NODE_SOCKET_PATH Error: "CARDANO_NODE_SOCKET_PATH""

I’m using the precompiled cardano-node and cli and am receiving the error:

Error while looking up environment variable: CARDANO_NODE_SOCKET_PATH  Error: "CARDANO_NODE_SOCKET_PATH"

I wasn’t sure what to set the environment variable to so I started following this thread that was seeing the same errors:

I went through the thread but still can’t figure it out. My cardano node is running on a separate tmux window but I’m not seeing anything when I type sudo lsof | grep "node.socket"

So when you start cardano-node you pass the socket path as a parameter --socket-path.

Take that same path and add it as an environment variable inside ~/.bashrc at the bottom of the file.

Example of ~/.bashrc

export CARDANO_NODE_SOCKET_PATH=/home/user/cardano/db/socket

after that login again or type source ~/.bashrc to reload the changes

p.s. in that topic provided the user set the wrong path so it didn’t work…

1 Like

Guess I’m confused what file needs to be passed here. Is there a default one that comes with the precompiled zip? I was just running cardano-node run and it started its thing.

Something like this:

cardano-node run \
   --topology path/to/mainnet-topology.json \
   --database-path path/to/db \
   --socket-path path/to/db/node.socket \
   --host-addr x.x.x.x \
   --port 3001 \
   --config path/to/mainnet-config.json

See here: How to run cardano-node | Cardano Developer Portal

Do these files come with the pre-compiled zip, or do I need to create them?

Some of them are downloaded as per installation instructions, some will be created by the process.

Configurations:
https://github.com/input-output-hk/cardano-node/blob/master/doc/getting-started/understanding-config-files.md/
https://hydra.iohk.io/job/Cardano/cardano-node/cardano-deployment/latest-finished/download/1/index.html

The easiest way is to follow the initial part of the Coincashew tutorial:

1 Like