Question regarding stake.addr

Does the stake.addr ever need to be copied back over to the block producer from the cold environment?

If not, once I mint a block, will I be able to successfully run this command on my block producer?

cardano-cli query stake-address-info \
 --address $(cat stake.addr) \
 --mainnet

Currently I cannot run this command because my stake pool has not minted any blocks or received any rewards. Perhaps only after I receive rewards can I run this?

My stake.addr was generated originally in my air-gapped cold environment using the CLI method.

cardano-cli stake-address build \
    --stake-verification-key-file stake.vkey \
    --out-file stake.addr \
    --mainnet

My payment.addr was obviously generated and then copied back to my hot environment, but I just want to double check regarding checking rewards as things move forward. This is how my payment.addr was generated.

cardano-cli address build \
    --payment-verification-key-file payment.vkey \
    --stake-verification-key-file stake.vkey \
    --out-file payment.addr \
    --mainnet

Thanks guys,
Neil

1 Like

Hi,
Not sure if i understood it correctly, but yes, you can copy the stake.addr to your hot machine. stake.addr file doesn’t have any secret keys you should be worried about - it is just containing the stake address, which is not a secret.
to withdraw anything from the stake address you will need stake.skey key, so this is one which you should be keeping safe.

1 Like

Hi @lauris - Thanks. That clears it up.

I’ve copied over the stake.addr file (with the public stake address in it), and I’m able to check my rewards balance fine.

In terms of withdrawing rewards, I have my safe guarded stake.skey in my cold environment, so that makes sense. And will only use it when rewards need to be withdrawn.

Cheers,
Neil