r/Cardano Subreddit - Discussion about Rule 4 - No spamming, advertising or low value content

Just bumping this back up. Has any action been taken to change policies?

Hey everyone,

First off, I want to say a big thank you for all the awesome suggestions and insights you’ve shared with us in this forum thread and on Reddit. We really appreciate your input! To keep this important conversation going, if you have more ideas or recommendations but aren’t comfortable joining the public discussion, no worries at all - just send me a private message, and I’ll gladly share your thoughts here.

Forum: r/Cardano Subreddit - Discussion about Rule 4 - No spamming, advertising or low value content

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/cardano/comments/129nu90/meta_rcardano_subreddit_discussion_about_rule_4/

In the meantime, I’ll be gathering and summarizing all the great input from our community members. Keep the ideas coming!

3 Likes

We would like to extend our sincerest thanks to everyone who has actively participated in the ongoing discussion regarding the r/Cardano posting guidelines. Your contributions are invaluable, and we appreciate the time, effort, and thoughtfulness you’ve put into sharing your suggestions and insights. Our primary objective is to work together to create a solution that benefits the entire Cardano community and ensures r/Cardano remains a welcoming, useful, and engaging platform for both newcomers and experienced members alike.

To facilitate further conversation, collaboration, and a comprehensive understanding of the different perspectives, we’d like to provide an extended summary of the feedback we’ve received so far:

Radical Change:

1. Explore the possibility of creating specific subreddits for different types of content (e.g., Cardano NFT Ecosystem) or combining all subreddits into one, with clear labels for different post categories, to make it easier for users to navigate and find relevant information while avoiding content fragmentation.

Moderate Change:

1. Leverage Reddit’s upvote system to decide which posts to promote and demote, while addressing potential manipulation issues, such as bot activity, malicious downvoting, or incentivized upvoting, and identifying best practices from other successful subreddits.
  2. Reevaluate the use of “low value content” as a criterion for post removal and provide clearer guidelines on what constitutes advertising. This would help prevent the unintended removal of valuable content from hard-working developers and creators, while ensuring a fair and transparent moderation process.
  3. Limit the posting frequency for new projects (e.g., 1 post/week) and require a minimum activity period (e.g., 3 months) to prevent scams and ensure that only genuine, active projects are promoted within the community, fostering a safer and more reliable information-sharing environment.
  4. Regularly hold policy reviews to ensure the subreddit remains relevant, useful, and adaptable to the ever-changing needs of the Cardano community, fostering a spirit of continuous improvement and responsiveness to community feedback.

Light Change:

1. Maintain the current restrictions on stake pool and NFT promotion but consider allowing limited promotion for projects building on Cardano, such as monthly progress updates, to strike a balance between promotion and informative content.
  2. Consider assigning projects or their representative members on Reddit a flair that displays the project name. This way, it becomes readily apparent during discussions that the participant is a member of a specific project.

As we continue discussing these points and any additional suggestions or concerns you may have, we’d like to emphasize the importance of open, constructive, and respectful dialogue. Our ultimate goal is to work together as a community to make r/Cardano an even better place for meaningful discussions, valuable content, and positive engagement that fosters innovation and collaboration.

The above points should serve as a basis for further discussion.Please share your thoughts, ideas, and experiences, and let’s engage in a constructive conversation to help us refine our guidelines and create an inclusive, supportive, and informative space for everyone interested in Cardano. We look forward to hearing your insights, learning from one another, and working collaboratively towards a brighter, more connected future for our community.

Our overarching objective should be to provide deserving projects with a well-deserved spotlight, while simultaneously preventing spam, scams, and low-quality content from permeating our community. While we acknowledge the need for projects to have a platform for advertising and visibility, it is crucial to bear in mind the considerable moderation effort required by our team to maintain a high-quality and secure environment. As we strive to strike a balance between promotion and valuable content, we remain committed to fostering a community that is informative, engaging, and free from undesirable elements.

As already mentioned, suggestions can also be sent to me via private message if you do not want to participate in the public discussion, I will be happy to add them.

And now, let those keyboards blaze! :grimacing:

5 Likes

I do like the ideas mentioned above. I’d recommand to start a test phase and review the result after 2-3 months to look for improvements or stuff we have to change/adapt.

1 Like

To ensure we consider the opposing perspective and address their concerns, here’s some information gathered from a Telegram discussion:

• Currently, there are only a handful of individuals who want advertising to be allowed. These individuals are project owners with financial and commercial interests.

• Drawing from past experiences, such as with stake pools, the situation quickly escalated. Users expressed their desire for content to be split across additional subreddits, as many felt overwhelmed by what they perceived as spam.

• In other communities, such as the Ethereum community on Reddit, it’s also not allowed for NFT, gaming, and other projects to advertise. This restriction has not negatively impacted the NFT community there.

2023-04-25 10.16.48

Nah, r/ethereum talks about NFTs all the time. Just do a quick search for bored ape, or BAYC you’ll see there’s loads of content. https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/search/?q=Bored%20ape&restrict_sr=1&sr_nsfw=

Everyone interacting with the Cardano network has a financial stake in it. That’s somewhat the point of it. Right now the rules simply favor large entities and favor defi products (even if they are rugs). Please see my post above for more details in this regard.

Who is actually the final say on changing these rules? I feel like we can engage in all the “meaningful conversation” we want, but at the end of the day somebody with apparently ultimate authority is the one who changes the rules - so who is that person?

Bumping this up.

Just returning here once again, like Sisyphus pushing his boulder.
Screenshot 2023-10-15 023443

What did you post exactly?

It was a video of a player driven event occurring between two integrated games on the chain. It largely doesn’t matter what we post, it gets smacked down over and over. The policy needs to be changed - I’ve outlined all the reasons above which imo are quite fair. The fact that the sub was promoting multimillion dollar defi rugs but chooses to not promote content from legitimate games is a flaw, not a feature.

Regardless, I don’t expect anything to change until whomever is in charge of this policy is no longer there, or enough public pressure builds to have it changed. Bureaucracies.

Can you please post the video and the title you used here? Thank you.

Sure, but I can tell this is an attempt to defend the absurdity of the rule in relation to this specific circumstance. This has been an ongoing problem for years, and is a detriment to not just our project but a significant chunk (half at least?) of developers on Cardano who are dedicated to making games.

The result is that legitimate games are treated as second class citizens to even scam defi projects, because that is the current preference/policy of the sub. It’s not a logically defensible position, and the gatekeeping sucks. Similarly, we’re not able to discuss our stakepool on the main subreddit due to the same rules. It really is absurd.

But sure, post was as titled: https://youtu.be/vrKRw8u7Ibw

I am quite confident nothing will change, but appreciate your interest.

Hello @Cardania ,

Thank you for your message; I understand your frustrations. In my opinion, there are currently two main areas that consistently irritate users: Rule 4 - No Spamming, advertising or low value content, and the AutoMod settings.

Firstly, about AutoMod, I’m part of several other Reddit groups and do think that AutoMod in r/Cardano is quite strict. The reasoning behind this is to proactively filter out posts that could lead to significant financial losses if not caught quickly by the moderators. Despite this, I believe the error rate for filtering out posts is high. My viewpoint is that we should be more lenient with the AutoMod and also encourage users to report posts themselves. We need to accept that some posts may not be removed instantly.

On the flip side, looking at the moderation queue on Reddit, it’s clear that the moderators manually review all AutoMod notifications and approve them as needed.

Regarding Rule 4, I agree with you that projects should have an opportunity to present themselves. I would recommend adding your project to the Developer Portal at Cardano Developer Showcase. Although it’s a way to present your project, it doesn’t provide an avenue for active communication with users.

We want to avoid what happened years ago with Stake Pool Operators. Hundreds of them would create new posts daily, outbidding each other to appear at the top of the “New” section. For this reason, we have separate avenues like Reddit, forums, and Telegram to promote stake pools.

How can we improve this situation?

One suggestion I have is that you could create an introductory thread for your project, equipped with all relevant information. This thread could have a flair like “Game Showcase” or something similar. Here, you can engage with users, announce new development milestones, post videos, and even direct people to your Discord. Of course no tokens sales or similar. What’s you opinion on something like this?

To clarify, our goal is not to restrict developers or the community. We want to find a fair way to exchange information without increasing the risk of potential scams, while ensuring that the moderators can manage things effectively. I encourage everyone in the community to participate in this discussion.

Update:

Just to put the whole thing in context, according to the log file, exactly 5 posts have violated Rule Number 4 (Advertisement) in the last 60 days.

Two of them were simply links without further information, in one case the user started multiple posts at the same time, in one case the post was deleted with the note that CardanoNFTs should be used, here the user said thank you. And once, your video.

1 Like

Update on Reddit Policy for Rule 4 - No spamming, advertising, or low-value content.

We’ve reviewed the community’s feedback and suggestions and have assessed them accordingly. The majority of our moderation team has decided to make changes regarding advertising and the AutoMod settings.

Concerning advertising, we plan to allow each project the opportunity to create a post where they can showcase their project, provide updates, or facilitate community discussions.

We will implement these changes shortly. We just need to update the Reddit Wiki articles and guidelines.

@Cardania, we’d appreciate your feedback on this.

1 Like

That is certainly several steps in the right direction! I would caution against only providing “a post”, as social media like reddit really is more of a stream than a lake - Perhaps a monthly posting limit would make sense, though tracking might be difficult.

Regardless, happy to be surprised here and glad to see this moving in the right way. Thank you!

1 Like

Suspect this will increase sub traffic quite a bit, as the community’s most active members now have more cause to actually use it. We’ll see anyway.

Since we already have inquiries, I’d like to clarify my last forum post in greater detail. The statement is that we are currently working on adjusting the rules, guidelines, and wiki accordingly.

This means that the changes are NOT yet active.

We will give the go-ahead when everything is implemented, including information on how the spotlight can be configured.

Feedback or suggestions from the community are very welcome.

Hi all, we are now looking at making changes, please see the following reddit post: Input requested on improving the Cardano subreddit

3 Likes