Relay - Error Messages

Hey All,

I just installed RTView on my node and 1 of my relays is getting a large amount of errors, are these expected?

(I checked my topology files and firewall 100 times)

any ideas? the error messages are below.

I used to have even four to five digits in error messages :wink:

Filter by warning, and check out which peers you could not connect to. Also, you can download a CSV-file of the errors, sort them by message column and get a quick overview who’s been down for a restart only 5-30 minutes or who’s an already abandoned pool (large amounts of “host not reachabne” or “connection refused”). In rt-view 0.2 there is/was an error with line feeds in the afore mentioned csv-file. For my purposes I simply try to fix it with something like this:

cat cardano-rt-view-[host]-errors.csv | sed -e 's/"]"2020/"]"\n2020/g' > cardano-rt-view-[host]-errors-linesplit.csv

Next year, change 2020 to 2021, obviously :slight_smile:. Just a quick fix.

Example: Tonight I collected 2700 warnings about a single relay from a very well known stake pool group not being reachable for 8 to 10 hours… Since I started having these enormous amounts of errors showing up, I started cutting connections to unreliable relays an replacing them with more consistent ones. Removed pools and addresses are recorded on my personal-blacklist with, time, my host and reason. Just a spreadsheet. Since then, things go much smoother :slight_smile: I only check errors once or twice a day. And if they do not persist (they’re time stamped) I just delete them. Everybody once in a while has to do maintenance, so shorter downtimes are not a concern.

Please keep in mind, that rt-view might consume enormous amounts of memory for these messages and - at least in 0.2 - does not free its memory. So, if you happen to have anything else running on this machine, restart rt-view once in a while. Enormous meaning 20GB of RAM in my case.

Thank you for the response. Very helpful!

Could be due to peer disconnections, etc. you can try the following script to identify unreliable peers