Report a YouTube fraud/ give away scam video

Agree, but we still have fun. We humans learn best through pain and misery. If I tell you don’t do DeFi in Eth, you’ll never listen. And then you lose haft of the money for hacks or rugs pull, you will try to find out why and learn.

1 Like

I wonder how some people muster up enough courage to leave their beds each morning, the world being such a hurtful, nasty place to them.

Maybe I’ll mint a “Thicker Skin” token. Loads of potential.

2 Likes

It is valuable to have thicker skin. It is also valuable to be generally nice to one another and create environments where communication and collaboration are encouraged.

Even though your implied recommendation to grow “thicker skin” is a useful one, it doesn’t invalidate attempts to suggest friendlier communication. Both are useful contributions.

2 Likes

It was not the point of my post buddy. Also, it is not on you or me to blame people for the mistakes they’ve eventually done.
The point of my post is that cyberspace is a pretty unsafe place today where cybercriminals and psychopaths can avoid punishment for their deeds easily. This is absolutely unacceptable and statistics are devastating.
Not to mention companies and teams who are promoting their projects in cyberspace and don’t even bother to check out if somebody is robbing and scamming people on their back using their brand like a weapon to hit the people.

So the victim paid the school, the hacker collect the prize and avoid punishment and everybody are happy?

Well said. Let’s get back to Cardano.

I agree with you. It’s not enough to blame the ones losing their ADA on this and call it “user error”. It reminds me of the obesity epidemic. When these many people are obese, you can’t chalk it up to “poor choices”. In such a case, you need to acknowledge other contributing factors and act accordingly.

Personally, I would like to see more vigilante white hat hackers countering spammers and robbing them of their spoils. Unfortunately, I don’t have such skills. In the meantime, I hope stories such as this one will be enough of a warning to potential victims. I’d absolutely love it if YouTube put up a warning banner on every video on crypto as well.

If ADA blockchain is truly transparent to prevent fraud, then it should be easy for someone to track a transaction made to a fraudulent address publicly posted on Youtube video on Feb 15, '21?
25,000 ADA were lost - will reward help?

To my knowledge transactions are irreversible.

Press charge against the video owner.

The fraudulent address was public on Youtube - surely that is sufficient to at least enable someone to freeze that address, so a private claim could be made. Otherwise what is advantage of the transparent blockchain?

What is advantage of the ADA blockchain being transparent - if ADA is sent to an obviously fraudulent address, and cannot at very least be frozen there pending an investigation. You just can’t “press charge” against the alleged video owner who disappears.

You can likely trace funds until it reaches mixers or exchanges. Identities are not saved on blockchain.

Law enforcement authorities can try to follow up and trace, but in most countries they have not even embraced crypto currencies - so you’re far from that, but worth trying to keep raising with them

1 Like

That’s not how crypto works. The whole point is that you are in control of your funds and no one, not even a government entity, can take that away from you. This means that no one has the power to freeze funds or reverse transactions. Your best bet, aside from reporting to local authorities, is to write your local representatives and Youtube to try and have them do something about these videos and prevent something like this from happening again to more people.

2 Likes

I am really sorry to hear about what happened to you. For all $ADA hodlers our there, PLEASE, if you are not sure about anything, just post your questions here and I guarantee you that you will get all the helps that you can get. DO NOT send your $ADA to anyone that you don’t know. And please use official wallets like Daedalus and Yoroi to stake your $ADA. Scammers out there are like vultures, they keep on hunting so please be vigilance and always on the look out. Be safe!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your concern. It would seem to me that someone should be creative enough to at least be able to come to a consensus on how to “blacklist” the offending wallets (addresses) so the chain would no longer allow them to transact.

What if, and correct me please if not possible, the funds are routed through shell adress’s? And if one of the routed adress’s is legitimate?

I think the ones who are really interested in this subject should, instead of fool around and annoy others obnoxiously, make a thourough research about the subject, and even, if will, publish the results.

cheers!

It may be possible; but why, or how on earth does simply routing a fraud through ANY address somehow make the fraud “legitimate” - ANY address that is used to facilitate fraud is AN ADDRESS THAT WAS USED FOR FRAUD.

You miss understood me. It’s obvious illegitimate, but cannot an adress linked to my wallet, for instance, be used to facilitate the route without me even knowing?

I’m starting to think there’s few of us who can see clearly through this fog of war after the snowball event of crying-out-loud.

If you’ll excuse me, enough is enough!

cheers

I’m just an old guy that lost part of my pension funds. I have no idea how to link an address to your wallet, nor any understanding of why I might want to do this - unless I intended to commit fraud. Curiously, if this were indeed possible as you suggest it is, then it truly baffles me why such an obvious flaw remains built into the system, or why great efforts are not being expended to correct it so as to prevent others from such losses in the future.

@jpsrrv

It is highly unlikely some random person can link to your wallet to funnel funds through without you knowing. If this were possible we would have a much, much bigger problem on our hands.