Setting a permanent amount of blocks that each and every pool has to produce per epoch

Hey @6LeBlanc6

with point 1 i would see a problem:
If we set the fee or even the pledge at the beginning higher than it is yet, little Pool Operators cant set up an pool. So i would say the most of us live in an wealthy country. So you have the money to buy 5.000,- :ada: but if we look to Africa, China, Korea and so on the people there are not wealthy enough to pay that. If we do that in the way you suggest, i think the result ist that we centralize our stake pools in wealthy countries.

Cardano have some main principles:

• free to use, for every one
  • low barriers to use and participate to the system
  • and so on…

We would collide with the principle of “low barriers to participate” if we set this one value higher an higher. So the small persons have not enough money to pay that and the big one will only be slower but more powerful because we haven’t so much SPOs.

To point 2:
I think this would destroy our system of trust. I mean like @Triton-pool already said: maybe there is a reason that they haven’t got any block. Maybe the people don’t trust them and give them no stake, maybe the pool isn’t alive all the time or something else. I think the lottery is very fair at the moment. Here it is explained a little bit under the section proof of stake: formal methods
Now actual i think about another problem: The big companys have enough ADA or money to set up many stake pool right now. One year later they will get the block of “sadness” :joy:. But now we already know that they will have many pools without any stake or anything else on that way. In one year they will take over the control because every one of this many pools will get this block of sadness. They will exploit this system.

“Give somebody an inch and he will take a mile.”

I think the system how it is, is very well. We have a democratic, trustworthy and random election process. Democratic, because we can give our delegations to stake pools that we trust. Trustworthy, because the code is open-source and it is mathematical proven that it cant be destroyed if not one entity have the power over more than 51%. Random, because the random generator is decentralized over every stake pool, so that no one can predict or manipulate this system.

At the end i also would suggest you the following post: Cardano Staking Guide
Here you can see that even very small pools will be selected and get over the long term the same rewards like a large pools. Not so frequently but a much higher reward. Why? They don’t need to give so many other delegators a part of the rewards.

2 Likes