Simple way to add metadata to a transaction?

Hi all,

I plan to sell a product in the spirits market and I want to store some production information on the Cardano Blockchain (more or less in the same way like Baia Wine is doing it with metadata).
I watched some videos about adding metadata to a transaction, but simply said: It’s still to complicated for me as I have only very basic coding skills.

So is it correct that there is no desktop wallet available where I can simply add metadata to a transaction?
Or any ideas how I can find help how to make a transaction with metadata?

Cheers
Andreas

You can talk to me on this channel, it is really quite easy to create a Tx with metadata using the cardano-cli. I would first ask you to spin up a node on your machine like this.

docker run --detach \
    --name=relay \
    -p 3001:3001 \
    -v node-data:/opt/cardano/data \
    -v node-ipc:/opt/cardano/ipc \
    nessusio/cardano-node run

If all of this is new to you - no problem, we do this step by step and eventually you’ll be comfortable with creating metadata Tx like this.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply:-) Alright I start with installing Docker (also this is completly new for me), but google is my friend and I’ll come back to you as soon as it runs.

So, we have the CIP-0020 now with Transaction Messages. If you wanna attach some Text to a Cardano-Transaction, you can already do it with ccwallet.io for example.

2 Likes

So I’ve tested ccwallet.io and it worked perfectly! Thanks a lot.
I added at least a small amount of metadata to a transaction (basically one sentence - but it’s enough for the beginning :slightly_smiling_face:)
The limit is 64 bytes, is there a plan to further increase it?

@tomdx: I still want to follow your proposed approach so I installed the docker and it worked, at least I’ve got a response when testing it with:

$ docker run --rm centos echo “Hello Cardano”

But setting up the node

already made problems, the response was “invalid reference format”.
I try to figure out what the problem is and then come back to you.

going with the msg standard, you can do multiple lines in an array:

at the moment, ccwallet.io supports a oneliner for a transaction

The image works on macos/linux on intel/arm64 - it would not work on windows. For that we’d need to go to a hosted environment. Or, if you really want to get into it, you could get a RaspberryPi4. Be careful though, you might end up wanting to run your own pool :wink:

Ok. Actually I always wanted to try some things with a RaspberryPi, so that’s finally a reason to buy one. I come back here as soon as I bought one and istalled the OS and the docker.

Ok, here are step-by-step instructions on how to set up the Pi4 - get an 8g version.

Ok:-) Thanks!