Small pools are dying...what do you think?

Alex you’re an inspiration :purple_heart:

Sorry to hear about bouncethebox decision and hopefully they don’t disappear

Re the offer of the 500 ADA Alex, politley suggest you should accept it for your charity, you have helped so many people that money going to your charity would be awesome👍

2 Likes

no man, I can’t take money for a free information… .I remember how it was for me when I configured my pool… It was hard but I configured myself without any other help… for me it’s good enough if people will delegate to my pool if not no problem… I don’t want any other kinds of payment…

10 Likes

What if small vs big pools was the wrong fight ?
What if the pool reward efficiency and protocol parameters were not the main problem ?

Big exchanges are using a lot of financial tools to increase the return for their users, in addition to the simple return of staking. Even if a perfect protocol manages to make all pools equals and generating a 5% revenue for everybody, centralized exchanges would be able to generate, let say an additional 5% thanks to people’s fund and their centralized finance activities (exchange fees, unclaimed rewards, loans margin, insurances margin etc…). So they are able to offer a 8% return to their users and still be 2% profitable.
The consequence is that everybody is joining the exchange, not by delegating, but by trusting and sending them the tokens.
The fact that Binance has a big pool farm is not because their pools are more profitable. Nobody delegates to Binance anyway. They are their only delegator, but with people’s funds, and they are proposing 8% to 20% returns. The real staking reward from the protocol is only a part of this, but their CEFI revenus and their risk management makes the difference.
Even the 1PCT pool farm will not be able to compete with that on the long run.
This is exactly how the current central banking system works today when you trust your normal bank to hold your funds, giving you a 3% fix return, but they make more behind.

The bad consequence for crypto, is that exchanges will get the ownership of most of the tokens, and thus, rule the governance. Which I think is even worse than running most of producer nodes.

If I see a solution, I don’t think it will come from the protocol, but from DEFI, to compete with CEFI by offering similar rewards, or even better rewards by saving on the central exchange margin.
Also, a DEFI app cannot run a producer node. It will rely on pool operators to get the staking reward. So, a DEFI app could implement some random delegation that would help all pools equally.
2 birds 1 stone…

My hope is that Cardano will get a kick-ass DEFI ecosystem, pushing CEFI to hell, and bringing some fair delegation logic at the same time.

7 Likes

This makes sense, but there are ways to implement a better incentive to mve to smaller pools,
so that running multiple small pools actually make less rewards, but in this relatively young ecosystem that isnt very easy to implement. untill then i think our best best is to highlight the isues people have with exchanges, the bad customer support and the uncertainly of not owning your own keys.
this is the true value of decentralization, not just “nobody tells you how or what” but the responisibility to make somewhat informed decisions on where your assets lie.

A quick link to an ongoing DEFI project I’ve just went across:

I did not look at all the details, it might be BS, but it is an exemple of the kind of project that could bring competition to Binance and better delegation.

Hi

I started an CIP discution to define some guidelines for Defi apps regarding their liquidity delegation logic, in order to help SPOs: CIP - DEFI apps delegation guidelines for pool decentralization

If anyone has some smart contract knowledge about what is possible regarding a delegation algorithm, please feel free to advise.

1 Like

I couldn’t find a way to message you direct. Can you help me on a issue im having please.

I hope I can :slight_smile:

hey thanks for reply. So I decided to end my pool because I didnt have enough in. Well I went ahead and retired but now my cntools wont let me in I tried updating to 1.27.0 but have no idea what im doing. Was wondering if there is another way to get into cntools without updating. I tried the cntools.sh -o but doesn’t work. I hope I didnt lose my 500 ada. Please help

1 Like

here is what i get when i try to run

Guild scripts has now been upgraded to support cardano-node 1.27.0 or higher (1.26.1 found).
Please update cardano-node (note that you should ideally update your config too) or use tagged branches for older node version.

ERROR: CNTools failed to load common env file
Please verify set values in ‘User Variables’ section in env file or log an issue on GitHub

Ok type cardano-nodd - -version
And cardano-cli - -version

1.27.0 is showing on relay

Do I also need to update to 1.27.0 on the production also maybe thats my issue

Of course, u are using cntools on producer right?

U can use the old files for 1.26.1

on producer cd $CNODE_HOME/scripts

ls -l

yep on producer

ok in there now

Hello: looking for helping souls that wants to help and stake with us APAYS, for a few epochs.
Thanks

Well said,
I am with you on these.
Actualy, i am a small pool also, i don’t care much about how many stake i have but i keep welcome new family (delegators) to grow together no matter how many ADA they have to stake, because every delegators that join my pool is a family, 1 delegator added means1 life saved.

3 Likes