The Economics of Cardano

Hey I have a general question that someone might be able to help with.

As I understand it there is:

1. 31 Billion Circulating ADA
  2. 9 Billion non Circulating
  3. 45 Billion Max supply

Is there documentation that describes the potential “reasoning” behind the Max cap of 45B?

Is there information which event triggers the 9 Billion reserve to become circulating?

Can more ada be created; without a hard fork? (Some mechanism in the code? Or community consent?)

If a transaction requires X-ada to be transacted to prevent DoDs (presumably) and is than returned into Cardona Treasury, how is the Cardano stacking pool reward funded/created? Or is it purely recycling of the transaction fee?

What happens, if owners “refuse” to commit to stacking pools? Can stacking pool validate even with minimal stacking?

Is there a “redemption” or “elemination” protocol in place for Ada? Or is it once “live” always “live”

I hope this not asking to much, but I have digging in the paperwork for a while now. (I can’t read GitHub code, no clue what I am looking at)

Thank you in advance for the help

I’ll take a stab at this off the top of my head, if my memory is correct…

1. Charles has discussed the 45 billion number, it’s basically arbitrary and meaningless to start, however a large number can help to reduce volatility and increase access so anyone can buy a little. A large supply means there is enough for everyone on the planet. Were going for number 1, not just a hacked together financial experiment.

2. I’m pretty sure there is a schedule for how the reserves are released, (mostly for funding projects through catalyst…?) I don’t have all the info on this still in memory

3. More ada can not be created, it is a fixed supply. (Maybe with community voting, but I doubt that would be feasible)

4)a fraction or percentage of each transaction fee goes to the treasury and a fraction goes to the stake pool. (which is split up between the stake pool operator, and the individual wallets delegated to that pool)

5)There is “pledge” required meaning the stake pool operators get a higher reward if they commit to providing a higher pledge. If they underperform, or refuse, they simply don’t receive rewards. their performance rank will than go down, and delegators may choose to leave an underperforming pool.

1. There is no way that I know of to eliminate the network, other than convincing the thousands of stake pool operators to stop running pools

2. Check out some of the IOHK library if you haven’t already:
    Research papers - IOHK Research
    https://why.cardano.org/

1 Like

Thank you so much for the information. I will read more in detail.

1 Like

Researching the official channels is often the best way to find answers, as your questions have probably been answered in a more clear and comprehensive way than I can provide (I’m just a random guy on the internet with no real connection to the project) Enjoy the process, it takes a while to wrap your head around all the potential and existing technology of Cardano.