What is going on with Emurgo HK?

I saw an interesting video with questions on EmurgoHK by Rickmcracken today. I have moved along from guardians as it ended in a division between the members in the group and a stressful event as Rick puts it in his video so I hope the torch can be carried onward by others. I still care deeply for the well being of the Cardano ecosystem so I tought I would write a post as well.

There are some worriesome information out there in the great interwebz including here on this forum

Rick makes a good summary of questions in the following video:

I find it worriesome there has been no offical statements or update from EmurgoHK for quite a while now and last I have seen myself was from 17 july with the statement from Ryan King on the telegram group of EmurgoHK:
"Ryan King :lion: ēŽ‹ę˜Žē‘ž, [17.07.19 12:17]
Apologies for the lack of communication recently.

Youā€™re right that you havenā€™t heard much from EmurgoHK lately. This is because Headquarters temporarily requires that employees (myself included) not engage on social media until they decide on some official messaging. Iā€™m not sure exactly when that will be, but I do hope it will be soon.

Personally, Iā€™m frustrated with this since I value keeping our community engaged and informed, and I regret that the current situation means Iā€™m unable to make posts or answer questions.

Unfortunately, Iā€™m not personally able to comment on these company decisions, but you may direct questions to the official decision-makers at Emurgo Japan.

Thank you."

2 Likes

With this said this is not fud from me. Emurgo.io is doing amazing job with Yoroi and the updates and activity from Emurgo has been nothing but outstanding. I also am really happy and excited with the improvements in Cardano Foundation and IOHK has done some outstanding research work and it is now up to the practical implementation that I am sure will get there sooner than later (a good quote by Charles is we humans tend to overestimate short term and underestimate long term and I think that rings true for Cardano implementation of Shelley and the road onwards to Gougen). I myself am still fully invested and commited to the ecosystem and have proposed several ideas (for example this and this) and would like to be part of the future of Cardano so I wish the ecosystem only well!

2 Likes

For those who are reading this and not aware,

EMURGO and EMURGO HK are totally separate entities. EMURGO HK has never contributed any code or any work to any of our engineering projects and we have never contributed to any of their engineering projects.

4 Likes

But there were close links between them. Darren Camas talking about ā€œour Hong Kong officeā€ and Ryan King as ā€œOur Accelerator Directorā€: (from about 31:00) https://www.facebook.com/emurgo.io/videos/1647995358580551/

(Also more links on the Emurgo HK TG group, which is where I saw this, thanks to Chris)

EMURGOā€™s accelerator program called dlab is in New York and done in partnership with SOSV. Ryan was in charge of an accelerator program for EMURGO HK which shared no personnel, no partners, no advisors and no projects with our program in New York.

Also one thing to be clear for those wondering why the forum thread on IronX talks about company IronFX - ironx exchange is part of IronFX group so parent company.

(from ironx.com)

1 Like

Think this through Sebastien.

How do you explain that Ryan has an emurgio.io email?

1 Like

Good follow up Eystein by adding the comment from Ryan King. Thanks for posting.

Just testing. The padlock icon is showing for me, though the thread is apparently unlocked for others.

Edit: so itā€™s not locked for me either. Is the icon showing for anyone else?

@anon20038177 archived the topic, then it gets the padlock and the status ā€œfrozenā€.

Thanks but how confusingā€¦ surely a usability design failā€¦ Iā€™m sure padlock (closed) means locked to most pplā€¦ and ā€œfrozenā€ means the sameā€¦

Edit: just to be clear, this is not the fault of anybody in Cardano, but the forum software developer.

No, Rob actually only moderators or leader status is able to overwrite the frozen thingy.

This is a mistake on my part, where I had archived the subject and seem to have locked it also, so I have tried to relist it and it still has the lock on it, I will attempt to move it back to a live subject for all.

Thank you for the clarification. There were certainly some who wondered about this topic disappearing.

For sure, its a topic that is confusing so its kind of interesting, reading through discourse before I push any buttons, it seems that archiving a topic removes it from view of regular userā€™s, getting it back is where I am not clear yet, I do not want it to dissapear altogether, so give me a little read time and we shall see where it goes.

Looks frozen for good https://meta.discourse.org/t/should-closing-a-topic-remove-wiki-edit-ability/25680/6 Admin Mods and TL4 will be able to continue the conversation but if someone has iterest in the rest of the members joining the conversation it will take a new thread altogether.
To my knowledge there are no options to remove from Archive.