What would the approximate energy consumption of 1000 stake pools be estimated to be?

My understanding of PoS nodes to validate the blockchain is somewhat limited in a sense when it comes to the required infrastructure and hardware to operate a successful node, so I am hoping that some of you can help answer the question.
I find it a relevant issue in the world as blockchain miners are continuing to promote the idea that mining is the future of transactions, and although hashrates may have dropped lately on some networks the possibility of the energy consumption miners pose for future generations is an unsettling thought.
Does anybody have a close estimate based on the current possible requirements of operating a stake pool, or am I posing this question to soon?

2 Likes

Naively assuming each node to be one physical server, 1000 * 200 W = 20 kW would be a ballpark figure.

For reference:

• a small portable power generator can output about 5 kW
  • Bitcoin mining requires about 2,500,000 kW at the moment and will increase as price rises
7 Likes

So this is assuming that a regular physical server will be enough to run a stake pool, right?
I hope we can assume this to be the case.

If that is the case then I could use easily searchable information to make a very valid argument, thanx @hayamoto_jr

Probably want a back up server running concurrently so multiply by 2. Iā€™d probably multiply by 4 just to be safe. Still orders of magnitude less obviously.

Multiplying by 4 the maximum energy output of a servers power source really hardly changes the fractional cost when compared to bitcoin :slightly_smiling_face:
Researching this issue really is unsettling as the real effect of hashrate on bitcoins network can calculate the energy consumption to maintain it, if price goes up - hash rate goes up - energy consumption goes up, it starts to look really crazy that bitcoin could ever be adopted for wide spread transaction purposes in its current state :nauseated_face:

6 Likes