Wolfram and the computational universe

Most people in here will be aware of the partnership with Wolfram and integration between their Alpha project and Cardano, recently announced in this IOG blog post.

So here’s an absolutely fascinating, for me at least, video on what else Stephen Wolfram has been working on recently – and Alpha does appear in it, so it’s not totally off-topic. :smile:

Thanks for sharing this Rob.
The most surprising thing is that it seemed to make some sense!
Cheers,
D

1 Like

Can we turn the philosophy of ethics into a computational function? (serious question, not sarcasm)

(serious question, not sarcasm)

Ha ha, it’s funny anyway. :smile:

If it was a settled question, not in the least debatable, then probably yes. Unfortunately (or maybe not) it is very, very, very, very… (repeating) far from that stage. Personally I believe (and maybe hope) it will never get there.

1 Like

Debating ethics may be the only job left for humanity to do, once everything else is digitized and automated, and the A.I. robots are enslaved to do our dirty work.

1 Like

Hello Again,

What intrigues me about this is that supremely complex structures and ultimately things like human behaviours emerge from a set of simple rules. His cellular automaton diagrams reminded me of fractals emerging from chaos.

It is the emergence of order out of chaos where the mystery lies for me. That science can provide a unified theory of complex or chaotic systems that can predict what kind of order emerges from chaos remains to be seen.

I am comforted by the thought that it is impossible to predict mathematically. It may be the one thing that humans have left that they are innately superior at.

Anyway, thanks again for a stimulating link.

Cheers,
D

1 Like