A couple of SPO basics

Hi,

1. node: how many peers should my nodes be speaking to 25, 35, 50?

2. main/big big question: I remote in to a cloud server to run my nodes. Am I expected to keep the terminal window running for eternity to keep the nodes running?? Will closing the terminal stop the nodes/core? is systemd the solution here? isnt there a quick cloud fix for this… its the cloud after all, thats why I’m paying bezos the big bucks.

as always,
x/ cheers and beers

The number of peers is mainly limited by memory usage. A commonly used value us around 20.

Regarding your main question: Running servers does require a little determination to set things up properly. It is not all done by pushing money in Bezos’ pocket expect AWS to shield you from work :smile:

Using systemd is one way to keep your node running if it crashes or your system is being rebooted for whatever reason. For this you would not need tmux at all - although some people (including me) think it might be helpful to be able to connect to live view. Without systemd, you could use tmux to keep it running without setting up a systemd service - just detach from the session and logout. Although being easier to setup (cardano-node is quite stable) this would not be my preferred way of running a service.

I suggest you have a look at the tons of well writen tutorials and explanations around. For example here.

1 Like

Thx!!! awesome! Now a question about performance.

How does the blockchain measure SPO performance and uptime? Is it from the time you are a slot leader and attempt to produce a block? Or is all time and forever measured from the time you first start processing cardano transactions. Is there a grafana metrics or dashboard somewhere that captures this report card that we are being graded on?

as always,
x/ cheers and beers

AFAIK there is no rating inherent to the protocol. Rating and grading is done by user interfaces like Adapools oder Daedalus while presenting the various pools for selection. The rational is that if a pool is performing badly delegators leave and it won’t have a lot of slot assigned to it anyway… and eventually “die”.

1 Like

I installed TMUX and it works like a charm. I love tmux :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

as always,
x/ cheers and beers