Aragon chain vs. DAO on cardano

I’m analysing what approach to use for a DAO app. I have some ideas of what would be suitable from a functional perspective related to have the DAO app will work. I am however interested in others opinions on this from a technical perspective.

Aragon chain will be faster, cheaper but less secure than Ethereum. As I understand it, running contracts on cardano will also be faster and cheaper, but more secure than ethereum. Aragon chain is built using Cosmos SDK and ethermint to provide more transaction bandwidth the way I understand it.

How suitable is Cardano for DAO’s as opposed to Aragon Chain in general? In which usecases would one be better than the other. In both usecases a rich DAO would probably make use of some p2p database for data storage outside of the blockchain, like OrbitDB or textile ThreadDB, so how much requirement do we have for speed and throughput?

It seems clear that Aragon chain is not preferred for DeFi dapps, but how about social / governance dapps?

Curious on how you’re reading the space as it is and as it will be?

1 Like

Having followed Aragon and Cardano from the beginning and being quite interested in the possibilities of the two technologies, more recently I have begun to think that Cardano has a better future (for my various interests) and now that people are talking about the Foundation evolving into a DAO, I thought I would look at posts in this forum to see where discussions have been going.

This post was very on point for me but there were no responses!? Does this mean that Cardano DAOs are too far away for me to be thinking about if I need to get something going soon?

1 Like

Still wondering the same question. 90% of a DAO (in my case) would probably be powered by lighter p2p technology like OrbitDB, so I think that a Cardano DAO is still very much possible even at this stage. But I was really interested in other opinions. Most blockchains aren’t made to be a DAO platform but only provide a contract layer anyway.

But sad indeed to see no interaction on this topic.

1 Like

Hi @DaedalusVoyage @philiprhoades

wondering if you guys are still in the look out for this? Would love to re-engage the conversation on DAO on cardano.

1 Like

Yes, still interested in this, although I am not directly working on this at the moment. I am working on the GUI for an app at the moment and I’m thinking of using Yjs in combination with ipfs. In the end, this would create something very similar to OrbitDB, but maybe with a more researched and sturdy CRDT implementation. I would have to add authentication, encryption and such though…

What is your need at the moment @hududed ?

I am also still interested but quite perplexed at the lack of response to the post when Cardano seems to be getting so big . . I have been thinking if I have to wait quite a while, I might as well see how things develop on the SAFE Network . .

Same here, I think that if Cardano wants to position itself as a new financial operating system, it should have its own “Aragon”

2 Likes

Hi All,

Question - How does one create an ‘Aragon’ for Cardano?

I’ve been searching for a DAO solution for Cardano and it’s lead me here.

Thank you

1 Like

Good question! - that is my desire as well . .

1 Like

I can’t invest time in it at the moment, but I would mostly implement and ideate in javascript and then add a smart contract integration with Cardano wherever necessary. In the spirit of decentralization you’d have to pick fitting technologies, like Y.js or OrbitDB as examples (depending on needs).

The bigger question that is not so easily answered is governance should look like and what the building blocks of a DAO system would be. Why have Aragon, Colony and others not succeeded so far? When we can’t do proper governance in real life, how are we hoping to digitalize it? Isn’t that hoping for a miracle?

2 Likes

@DaedalusVoyage ,

Good questions! - however if you are going to be doing some prototyping, I would be happy to co-operate somehow? Maybe set up a Telegram chat group to toss around ideas? (I am on Sydney, AU time).

1 Like