Blockchain enthusiast new to Cardano's view

So I have been seduced by Cardano’s third generation view of BLockchain evolution. I have installed a Node in my dedicated server where I alrerady have the BTC Blockchain as well.

I have read a lot but still find several questions unanswered that quite bother me to be honest.

1. I want to create an address offline the same way I was able to create my addresses for BTC where I am hording a nice amount of Satoshis, to this day that address has not been cracked and has not moved funds. So I want the same versatility when creating my Address to store another good amount of ADA. I saw a tutorial that asked to download the wallet and then erase everything and so on, but I do not like it, I want a python program I can audit and install in my offline laptop running Linux Debian 10 and create my addresses. Anyone can tell me where to go to do this?

2. I am so confused with the Mainnet and Testnet stuff… so if I am not wrong, now all transactions are centralized in a Mainnet controlled by some institution and in the future there is going to be a decentralized Mainnet? My node, in Shelley, what is the purpose of it right now? detect bugs?

I am really interesting in ADA and willing to contribute to its adoption, I am attached to BTC, BCH, ETH, and XLM but want to include ADA as soon as I can have a way to cold storage and fully control my assets.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to guide me a little.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to our community @okeygo

Im not 100% sure what you are looking for. But imo you just should get a paperwallet or a hardware wallet like ledger nano s or x.

there are atm 2 networks running. a mainnet and a testnet. the purpose for this is like the name says, a testnet. before big stuff like shelley gets implemented into mainnet, it gets tested on a testnet.

if you got any futher questions, feel free to ask here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your time, I keep reading. In my first question I want to be able to create my own address offline, no hardware wallets, just pure simple python code or alike that I can verify and produce my own addresses. I haven’t yet found a way to do it like I can do it in BTC, for example, where I choose my parameter and create my private key that I can store for ever on stone or engraved on metal :sweat_smile:.

Thanks again,

maybe you have to ask some more technical guy than me in the technical support section.

1 Like

I know almost nothing about it, so sorry if this doesn’t help, but I guess it might…

1 Like

Welcome @okeygo to the community, great to have you here :metal:

1 Like

Welcome @okeygo

Take a look at the Adrestia documentation. It gives a nice overview about some components used to interact with the Cardano blockchain which is probably what you’re looking for: https://input-output-hk.github.io/adrestia

Currently everyone’s probably talking about the Shelley Haskell Testnet (HTN) which was made public a few days ago or the Incentivized Testnet (ITN) which is going to be shut down soon. You’ll find a more detailled explanation in this post: The public testnet is now open for business

1 Like

Hi, to the best of my knowledge there is no easy way to manually create an off line private key. I am hoping that changes as I agree it is the safest way to create one. To those of you who don’t know some people like to create a private key using coin flips to convert to hexadecimal characters. My brother and I are working on a open source pi based device that would allow for offline transactions. My hope is that at some point Yoroi will support that functionality like my ether wallet does. I think it will in the future but at this stage other development issues are taking priority. Here is a link to the device we are building: https://youtu.be/_vA4tTLdL2M
It does more than just hold private keys by the way. The goal is to make it possible for anyone to cheaply assemble their own. At the current time having Yoroi or Daedalus create a paper wallet or using Yoroi with a ledger or trezor is the safest.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, reading now.

I really like the concept, really weird that there is no much development in that direction since that is one of the main concerns for mass adoption in my honest opinion. It is urgent a way to create your address in such a way but I guess that the general consensus is that people will just trust everything, like most people trust a bank note or a piece of gold without thinking way too much about its authenticity…

1 Like

Thanks. Generally speaking I think people don’t know what they don’t know about security and typically like things to be as easy as possible. We are working on simplifying the design and software as we wait on Cardano wallet development. The goal is to have a very inexpensive open source security solution accessible by as many people as possible. BTW not sure if you watched any of the other videos but here is one showing airgapped encrypted messaging with a later iteration of the device. We built the case with acrylic and a laser cutter we have:

Also here is a pretty slick airgapped wallet coming out on indiegogo. Doesn’t support Cardano yet. I think there are a few other airgapped solutions out there but none that I know of that support Cardano.

Maybe when the Treasury and voting systems come out we can apply for some funding to finish up our project and see if the community thinks it’s valuable.