Can paper wallet seed be used to access additional addresses generated by Daedalus?

Hi everyone,

I have few doubts related to paper wallet and would like to know your opinion.

1. I created 27 word paper wallet,
  2. sent some ADA to the address printed on the paper certificate
  3. restored the wallet
  4. sent some ADA to additional addresses generated by Daedalus

Is it now safe to delete the wallet as well as all Daedalus data? Will my paper wallet still be enough to restore access even those addresses additionally generated in Daedalus on different computer?

What makes me nervous is this is not common usage of the paper wallet and that Daedalus is not yet supporting HD wallets.

Thanks.

1 Like

It is, and it works, I know because this is how I do it, 27 words all the way (18 for entropy, 9 for moving funds), as opposed to the 12-word passphrase, way more entropy.

It works because the root, paper wallet address, links to all branches of the paper wallet address, could not be any other way.

I’m glad to see others protecting their wallets this way.

2 Likes

Afaik. For the paperwallet, the entropy is only 18 words (192+6 bit az checksum), and the other 9 is for constructing the wallet or spending password (I cannot recall which one) and the max entropy can just be 256bits for the master seed, due to the blake2b_256 hash. I created some picture for the 12-word mnemonic in the past, see attached.

3 Likes

Way more than 12 :grinning:

Nice graph @_ilap

Yep, but I was answered to this, sorry, for the confusion.

1 Like

Great, thanks!

No, I need to be more precise when writing anything technical. That sentence was interpreted as the paper wallet uses 27-phrase entropy, which is not true, thank you for catching that and adding to the discussion.

See how much better the corrected sentence becomes:
β€œIt is, and it works, I know because this is how I do it, 27 words all the way (18 for entropy, 9 for moving funds), as opposed to the 12-word passphrase, way more entropy.”