Cannot execute cardano-cli node key-gen on air gapped machine

Hi all,

I am trying to execute this command on my air-gapped machine (raspberry pi) using Coin Cashews: How to build a Cardano Stake Pool guide.

Command:
cardano-cli node key-gen
–cold-verification-key-file node.vkey
–cold-signing-key-file node.skey
–operational-certificate-issue-counter node.counter

I am receiving the error message of “cannot execute binary file: Exec format error”

Screenshot from 2021-04-21 19-37-47

Why would this be the case? Would this be because I am trying to run a file that is only supported on an x86_64 architecture on an ARM architecture? Or could this just be due to permissions?

Thanks everyone for your time!

The former. To run cardano-cli on arm64, you’ll need an executable that is compiled for that architecture, which is inherently difficult because of cabal compatibility issues. Luckily, we have good support for arm64 here.

Alternatively, you could just copy the arm64 cardano-cli 1.27.0 binaries from here, unzip, and move over to your Pi’s /usr/local/bin.

Should give you cardano-cli commands.