Cardano Development Community

I’ve been researching technical aspects of Cardano a lot this week. The roadmap raised a good point:

“First, we can only grow as fast as our community. At the moment, more than half of our community has never used a cryptocurrency before. This reality means that while it would be awesome to introduce complex features like stake pools, blockchain based voting and subscribable checkpoints, they would be underutilized and therefore ineffective until the community catches up.”

For me, it has been a complete whirlwind from the K framework, Daedalus wallet, IELE, Cardano-sl…

It appears impractical for me to spend my time contributing to a project that is out of my league. That statement was not a complaint, it represents my effort to contribute to the community but the depth involved for my contribution would probably not qualify for a merge or code review.

Maybe it would be best if I stay on the sidelines of Cardona until it evolves a little bit more.

@io_jeremy mentioned an explorer for Daedalus, creating a custom wallet that calls API with Cardano in another post. Does this mean a JAVA or .NET developer create their own wallet project? Does Cardona create a developer key for api calls? Other than the Daedalus project or if developers know Haskell or similar functional programming languages, the developer community appears to be small.

Once you get a node up and running, you can use the APIs to interact with your node. From there, you can build something like a wallet.

3 Likes

I noticed in this week technical report that a current API will be deprecated and replaced with VI.
As for the explorer, would that be the primary reason it is on hold?

I believe so

I’m a newbie (a technical sysadmin and quick study, but not a developer anymore). I just installed Daedalus on Windows server. It seems there’s a node program under the wallet. When I try to run the node program by itself as headless, it wants a configuration yaml file. Can anyone share a good starter config file for running the node on mainnet to support the network?

This is the Daedalus configuration.yaml on my Mac. Are you looking for this?

#!/usr/bin/env bash
cd "$(dirname $0)"
mkdir -p "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/Secrets-1.0"
mkdir -p "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/Logs/pub"
./cardano-launcher --node "./cardano-node" --node-log-path "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/Logs/cardano-node.log" --db-path "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/DB-1.0" --wallet "./Frontend" --launcher-logs-prefix "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/Logs/pub/" --updater "/usr/bin/open" -u -FW --update-archive  "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/installer.pkg" --configuration-file "./configuration.yaml" --configuration-key "mainnet_wallet_macos64" --node-timeout 30  -n --report-server -n http://report-server.cardano-mainnet.iohk.io:8080 -n --log-config -n log-config-prod.yaml -n --update-latest-path -n "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/installer.pkg" -n --keyfile -n "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/Secrets-1.0/secret.key" -n --logs-prefix -n "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/Logs" -n --db-path -n "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/DB-1.0" -n --wallet-db-path -n "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Daedalus/Wallet-1.0" -n --update-server -n http://update.cardano-mainnet.iohk.io -n --update-with-package -n --no-ntp -n --tlscert -n "./tls/server/server.crt" -n --tlskey -n "./tls/server/server.key" -n --tlsca -n "./tls/ca/ca.crt" -n --topology -n "./wallet-topology.yaml"

Hi @io_jeremy, how can I run my own node ?

As I understand (https://github.com/input-output-hk/cardano-sl/tree/develop/wallet-new)
a wallet has a frontend (built on Electron) and a backend. Running a wallet backend will create a node. Do I need something else?

Also I was looking to run the node on GoogleCloud or AWS, I saw (https://github.com/input-output-hk/iohk-ops) that you already have the deployment scripts for AWS, are there any docs on deploying the node ?

Thanks,

1 Like