Hello there, beautiful soul!
Hope this message finds you well.
How was your last weekend? Mine was quite overwhelming, in a good sense.
Had the first time opportunity to meet many of you in flesh. ‘Surprisingly,’ you were not just an avatar, jpg, Twitter handle, or a zoom face only. It was a mesmerizing experience to be able to shake hands with so many of you after interacting with each for so long. Equally so for my fellow colleagues who could travel along. I trust this has been the same with everyone who visited any of the local Cardano Summit locations throughout the world. I have a heart overflowing with joy and much to process for weeks to come.
Big shout out to the Cardano Foundation (CF) who superbly handled the preparation and execution of this special event with 50ish collocations around the world. This was certainly not an easy feat and we should celebrate instances where opportunities like these come up. I am equally thrilled with the increasing role that the CF is undertaking to help shepherd the ecosystem. What started as an organization of a few individuals is now shaping up step by step quite rapidly. I had the privilege to meet many of the new faces, of what now counts as 70+ individuals-strong organization. This will become even more so critically evident as we approach Voltaire’s era ahead of us. Looking forward to more opportunities like the past weekend. Once again, job well done!
Let’s continue building bridges and cultivating shared understanding wherever we meet, however we interact. Let’s do it often, and let’s do it with empathy. It’s important to play into our humanity regardless of how much technology we leverage in our everyday lives. Events like Cardano Summit, IO ScotFest, CNFTcon, RareBloom, and a number of ever-increasing local community-led events around the globe are the way to go. I’m a fan. BIG fan.
Thank you for being part of this journey.
Catalyst Town Halls are currently suspended in lieu of a cooldown period. However, Town Halls will resume already next week on Nov 30 and be running until Dec 14. We’ll pause for holiday period and resume likely Jan 11. We should be then on schedule following.
- Town Hall Playlist: link here
Break Out Rooms: https://bit.ly/33i38SB
- Want to open your own room next time? Book it via this form at least 24hrs in advance and get those conversations rolling!
Next: Nov 30 at 5PM UTC. Register now via this recurring link.
The Cardano Summit and Project Catalyst
This was an event to remember. More than 60+ individuals (not all are pictured here either) paid a visit during this workshop. Standing room only. Originally, we had a bit over 20 sign-ups via Google form. Never in a thousand years, we’d imagine so many community members following Project Catalyst signs around hallways to visit us and participate in person. What an experience. Whomever couldn’t be with us, you were certainly in our minds.
Special shout-out goes to co-facilitators Felix Weber, Victor Corcino, Phil K; my colleagues Jack Briggs, Lorenzo Bruno, Kriss Baird and Marek Buchowiecki with Lucio Baglione for helping us navigate the preparation and execution. And everyone else who participated on each of the ‘break out room’ tables during the workshop.
Gratitude goes to CF’s Alex Mazza and his team for allowing us to co-create this workshop hand-in-hand with the community at the summit.
We took a lot of pictures, and videos, that we’ll be able to share soon enough. A lot of fantastic insights were produced as a result of this workshop. Our hope is to share the outcome during the upcoming town hall next week. Even more so, we’re looking to invite all the communities near and far to conduct this workshop in their home environments.
So that we can then bring this all into a collective fold and truly understand the makeup of the entire community of communities. It’s how we can build a shared understanding and solidify foundations to build and iterate forward. Thank you for being here and thank you for engaging with the process as you have to date. Your insights and participation are not taken for granted.
Impact as an opportunity for Cardano
You thought that was it, for the summit? In fact, many presentations had references to Project Catalyst throughout - underlying the very foundational fabric of how critically important it has been for the Cardano ecosystem at large. You can find a lot of on-demand videos via this summit link already.
Well, there was another great event that took place on the second day that you can catch a recording of here via this YouTube link. Here are a few words from Melanie, one of the co-organizers.
“Just a note… Somehow we pulled this off. Many thanks to Juanita, Kate, Nori, the C4C Impact Tribe attending the Summit in Lausanne, Chakan for the use of his laptop, Cole for teaching me how to live stream to YouTube and SO much more, Sebastian for co-hosting, Members of the C4C Impact Tribe from around the world who joined the zoom call, Grace for helping us move into presentation mode when all we want to do is get things done in real life.”
“Thank you to the presenters (see LinkTree here) for spearheading your various Impact Projects and connecting us to them. Thanks to Petr from Vivatscreen. Stay tuned for interviews! Thanks to Newman and others who offered a hand a little or a lot. Guaranteed, I am missing someone! You know who you are & how thankful & forgetful I am! You give me hope for a better future. We are who we have been waiting for.”
“Making the World Work Better for all People, Animals, and the Planet.”
Last night we held a community roundtable/workshop on diving into topics of accountability. You can catch the outcome of this meeting via this Miro board (I also invite you to zoom out on this board - it captures a lot of great work done in the past with Challenge Teams and related meetings) and also catch the recording here. I’ll be thinking about ways how to capture more of these from a lot wider audience to create an interconnected web of a bigger picture.
If you wish to participate next time, just drop me a response on this forum post, and will include you the next time surely. It is a standin open invitation. The next meeting, considering the holiday season in between, is tentatively expected to take place in the second half of January. Will share updates once we know more.
Last week in CIPs
Here’s the recap from my colleague Ryan Williams that writes these fantastic CIP round-ups. I figured you’d like them, too. So here’s the latest to get up to speed. You can catch past and future summaries via this Cardano forum thread here as well.
What happened in CIPs last week?
CIP-XX Delegated Spending Authorizations [New CIP Proposal]:
- This proposes to allow users to delegate authorized spending of outputs in their wallets to smart contracts or other users, without sending said outputs out of their wallets.
- This seems like an interesting idea.
Draft CPS Smart Tokens [New Draft CPS]:
- This draft problem statement tries to detail the issue around the ability to control a native token’s lifecycle, beyond forging.
CIP-1694? A proposal for entering the Voltaire phase [Continued Discussion]:
- This proposes a revision of Cardano’s on-chain governance system to support the new requirements for Voltaire.
- This is a very important CIP for the future of the Cardano Ecosystem - so I will continue to recommend checking this out!
CIP-XX Implement Ouroboros Leios to increase Cardano throughput [Continued Discussion]:
- This proposes the next evolution of Ouroboros being implemented in Cardano.
- This is a very important CIP for the future of scaling Cardano - so I will continue to recommend checking this out!
CIP-01 & CIP-99 [CIP Process Improvement]:
- Plenty of continued discussions here.
- I continue to recommend checking this out!
Catalyst Adjacent CIPs:
CIP-36 Change rewards address field for Fund 10 [CIP Update]:
- This change, to CIP-36, proposes an alteration to the Catalyst registration/delegation format. This stipulates in order to gain voting rewards a Shelley payment address must be supplied - in contrast to stake addresses (aka reward addresses) being supplied currently.
- This is an important change to note for anyone who wants to engage with Catalyst Fund10.
Next scheduled meeting:
- CIP Editors Meeting #58 (happening Wednesday):
- 30th November 9:30 am UTC
- Held on Discord - here.
Fee-Free Voting? Intriguing.
The Summon Fee-Free Voting System was designed with modularity as a core principle. The ability to configure and customize the system to fit the needs of the organization as opposed to the organization being forced to fit into the rigid framework of the tool is just one of the many design choices that set it apart from other solutions on the market today.
- Deploy a cryptographically secure and verifiable voting system with just a few clicks.
- Create polls and vote on proposals without spending any transaction fees.
- Fully configurable voting/polling options.
- Delegate your voting power.
- Use any policy ID (token) as voting power.
- Assign voting power to tokens even if they’re staked in a smart contract. E.g.: Liquidity pools.
- (Optional) integration of ADA Handles for easy naming and verifiability.
Continue reading here if you want to learn more about how this process works. In fact, CIP-8 at work here.
Catalyst Project Completions - 303 and counting!
300+ projects have been completed to date by submitting their self-reported close-out reports and videos. There is so much goodness taking place in this ecosystem. Navigate to the COMPLETED tab to keep track of all their work. Not seeing your favorite project completed yet? You can check their progress on other tabs and also the monthly reporting output documents. Save the links below:
- Monthly Reporting: Project Catalyst - Funded Projects Reporting (public MVP) - Google Sheets
- Monthly Report Output Data: Public Catalyst Monthly Reporting - Google Sheets
- Proposal Journey: Proposal Journey in Catalyst (public) - Google Docs
- Want to do more? Check this call to action about accountability and participation! The first meeting already took place with the next one eyeing January 2023.
Are spreadsheets a little too much? Leverage community tools like Lido Nation which you can find here.
Get in touch
And that’s a wrap. Let’s talk Catalyst & governance via twitter, or telegram, or reddit, or wherever is your home online and keep conversations engaging on these very important topics.
Enjoy your weekend ahead!
Danny & the Project Catalyst team