Command failed: node issue-op-cert Error: Key mismatch: the signing key does not match the one that goes with the counter

Hello I trying to rotate the keys for first time and I got this error, any idea?
thanks

what is the counter inside the cold.counter or node.counter

Alex, this is what I have on the cold.counter.

{
    "type": "NodeOperationalCertificateIssueCounter",
    "description": "Next certificate issue number: 1",
    "cborHex": "82015820af9600aa9559117245790f0ef644571128a0493c329be16bb96098f0f044c6a6"
}

Since it says “Key mismatch: the signing key does not match the one that goes with the counter”:

Did you use the cold key of the pool to sign the op cert?

yes I have both cold and hot when I created the cert.

replace 1 with 2 save the file and try again… but as the error is saying I believe u are using some wrong files… did u tried to create the KES files more time in the past?

But are those the ones you tried to use for the KES rotation?

Do you use cntools or do it by hand (Coincashew guide or otherwise)?

If you ls -l the directories with the keys, do they have the correct times?

Alex, mad the change on the cnode.counter but the same error.

HeptaSean, this is the output.

drwxrwxr-x 2 cardano cardano 4096 Mar 31 15:38 ./
drwxrwxr-x 3 cardano cardano 4096 Feb 25 18:15 ../
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  203 Mar 31 15:38 cold.counter
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  187 Feb 25 18:15 cold.skey
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  197 Feb 25 18:15 cold.vkey
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  243 Feb 25 18:15 delegation.cert
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano 1327 Mar 31 15:43 hot.skey
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  183 Mar 31 15:43 hot.vkey
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  138 Feb 25 18:15 kes-expire.json
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano    4 Feb 25 18:15 kes.counter
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano 1327 Feb 25 18:15 kes.skey
-rw-rw-r-- 1 cardano cardano    4 Mar 31 15:43 kes.start
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  183 Feb 25 18:15 kes.vkey
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  367 Feb 25 18:15 node.opcert
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  187 Feb 25 18:15 node.skey
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  197 Feb 25 18:15 node.vkey
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  656 Feb 25 18:15 pool.cert
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  312 Feb 25 18:15 pool.config
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano   57 Feb 25 18:15 pool.id
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano   57 Feb 25 18:15 pool.id-bech
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano   57 Feb 25 18:15 pool.id-bech32
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano 1088 Feb 25 18:15 pool.json
-rw-rw-r-- 1 cardano cardano  300 Feb 25 18:15 poolmeta.json
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  176 Feb 25 18:15 stake.skey
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  186 Feb 25 18:15 stake.vkey
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  230 Feb 25 18:15 vrf.skey
-rw------- 1 cardano cardano  176 Feb 25 18:15 vrf.vkey

Okay, you have cold.skey/.vkey as well as node.skey/.vkey in there. And also hot.skey/.vkey as well as kes.skey/.vkey. That looks like you did some wild mix of Coincashew, original Cardano documentation and cntools.

You need to find out, which of these keys are the ones you actually used for registering the pool.

(The times unfortunately don’t tell us much, since they are all from the exact same minute on 25th February, probably copied over from some other location.)

1 Like

You need to use the node.skey and kes.vkey when creating the new node cert. Please check if that is the case.

p.s. still not sure if you are generating that manually or using cntools?

1 Like

wow… u have used coincashew and migrated to cntools? I believe u didn’t renamed the files corectly

Are u trying to rotate the KES via cntools or coincashew guide?

Hi Dog,

The Coin Cashew guide shows the commands and options you need to create a new operational certificate and KES keys at Rotating KES Keys - CoinCashew

fyi I have tested the commands successfully.

It’s not your fault that there is so much confusing, duplicate, incomplete, inconsistent and out of date information out there about how to operate a node. As a rule, I would recommend taking a bit of time to review the contents of a script prior to running. Satisfy yourself that you have at least a high-level understanding of what the script does and how it works. That way, you can learn more about node operation and also roll back any unwanted or unnecessary changes to your configuration that a script may make.

I hope that helps,

Change Pool [CHG]
change.paradoxicalsphere.com

From what I have seen on the forums, there are still many users who are not really familiar with the CLI and what the commands from the tutorials actually do. Later down the road that leads to most of the problems. So yeah, I fully agree with taking enough time to learn the basic concepts in order to better understand the environment.

Coincashew is a great step-by-step guide for those who want to do everything manually. Even the Cardano developer docs lack behind.

1 Like

There is a cardano-cli reference at Cardano node cli reference

Also, typing cardano-cli --help does display a summary of related sub-commands and options.

Dog55 has essentially tested the available documentation and third-party scripts for setting up a stake pool. Clearly there is much room for improvement in terms of clarity, completeness and robustness.

I believe that the scope of the Coin Cashew guide is to develop a strong understanding of the fundamentals of how Cardano nodes and stake pools operate and are designed to be securely implemented in production so that after working through the guide, new SPOs may begin making their own decisions related to best practices for their nodes and pools, including decisions to further automate required administrative or operational tasks successfully.

It might be the goal, but does it work?

The questions in the forum might obviously be biased towards people having problems.

But judging from them, a lot of people take it as a blueprint for copy and pasting rather than as an opportunity to understand, what all these commands really do and why.

More often than not, we have to look in the guide, which shell variables they have arbitrarily chosen to do what, because people don’t even know, where the syntax of cardano-cli ends and where the attempts of the guide/script authors at simplifying things a bit start.

1 Like

I agree… I believe that the guide can be presented in a way that includes accurate and complete details for a wide audience while also making the material easy to scan visually to accommodate the audience that knows Cardano Node and may seek only more specific technical details from the guide.

I’m currently creating pull requests for the Coin Cashew guide. This thread is providing some helpful input and feedback in terms of how the guide may be improved, which I will plan to incorporate in revisions, over time.

3 Likes