Daedalus is a disaster for Cardanos reputation

I’m literally chocked, it’s hard for me to understand how this could be allowed to happen.

I was just looking at Cardanos official recommended wallet Daedalus.
Just such a thing as it’s size. A fresh install is 965 Megabytes in size. (Not including blockchain data!)

And the program is written in JavaScript of all languages!
The client itself don’t have any configurable settings at all, the users cannot even choose where to place the blockchain data or anything.
And that data (20 GB) is placed on the C:\ in hidden system folders(appdata).
Today in the era of small SSD’s it’s the worst drive to place a huge blockchain on for most users and the user cannot do anything about it if they want to use Cardanos official trusted client.

How many hundreds of thousands of prospecting users and developers have tried this software as their first taste of Cardano? The most important first experience…

This unprofessional client have without doubt caused irreversible damage over several years.

I can’t understand what Cardanos leadership are thinking promoting this wallet as their official wallet.
I have never seen a worse official wallet since I started in 2012.

How is this software going to compete with anything on the bleeding edge of technology?
This client does not come off as a professional and serious system that you build a global decentralized network under.
JavaScript… It should have been stopped preemptively right there.

Daedalus is a disaster for Cardanos reputation.
I thought Cardano sounded like a good project but I lost faith after encountering this monstrosity.

5 Likes
rem My Windows PC has 250GB SSD for C: and 1TB HDD for D:
rem Drive C: was filling up so I made this Windows .BAT file
rem to move Daedalus chain folder from drive C: to drive D:
rem It uses ROBOCOPY to MOVE files and MKLINK /D to create a directory symbolic link.
rem Replace <UserName> with your user name before executing.
rem Ensure sufficient space on D: before executing.
rem Ensure Daedalus is not running.
rem Execute from Admin command prompt.

DIR /S "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Daedalus Mainnet\chain"
@PAUSE

MD D:\DaedalusChain
@PAUSE

ROBOCOPY "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Daedalus Mainnet\chain" D:\DaedalusChain /COPYALL /E /MOVE
@PAUSE

@PAUSE

DIR /S D:\DaedalusChain
@PAUSE

MKLINK /D "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Daedalus Mainnet\chain" D:\DaedalusChain
@PAUSE

@PAUSE

@ECHO Move complete.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with Javascript for the interface?

The full node contained in Daedalus is written in Haskell and is the thoroughly developed piece of software that Cardano is very proud about.

That’s because it is a rather complete Linux setup with all dependencies included. It is large, but also leads to a very controlled dependency environment.

1 Like

Agreed, but the sun is setting on full node clients anyway. Who needs them, if we can have the same level of security with lite clients?

Perhaps the Daedalus brand is worth preserving. In the future however, we are likely to see lite clients (i.e. that also work on your phone) that not only seamlessly work with assets on multiple chain, but also manage our digital identity and associated verifiable credentials. We are going to want to use wallets that can handle all aspects of our digital life, only one of which is receiving/sending digital currency.

Not sure if Daedalus wants to become such a thing. If it does, interoperability based on open standards, which BTW already exist, would be key. A digital wallet project worth talking about has a much larger scope than what we currently have in the Daedalus client.

Chromium as a runtime choice isn’t such a bad idea IMHO. You want to run this thing as a desktop app, a browser plugin, a webapp and on your phone, right? One code base, one comprehensive testsuite/docs, one dev team. There are plenty of apps that do this already.

Thanks for your input - most folks turn around and walk away silently

2 Likes

I think the mklink command can fix the problem. I haven’t tried yet.

1 Like

Mklink works! Here’s what I did, step by step

1. copy the contents to a usb drive. I used fastcopy
  2. once finished, delete the folder
  3. open a cmd prompt as admin
  4. use a cmd like this:

mklink /D “C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Daedalus Mainnet” “I:\Daedalus Mainnet”

1. USER needs to replaced with whatever the path is on your computer. You need to use quotation marks.

2. I copied the contents to I:\Daedalus Mainnet so you may need to use a different path

3. I started Daedalus which was completely happy with the softlink.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Daedalus is a disaster for Cardanos reputation:

I agree with some of the criticisms - took 36 hours to initialize, and took up a huge amount of space on my drive - I could have put it on an external drive?

I have transferred ADA from another wallet, but have yet to see it show up in Daedalus - I’m getting concerned…

1 Like

Yes, as said in the post directly above yours or in some more detail, for example, here:

For Linux, the same is possible with a simple symbolic link. Ask if you need more details.

Hope it shows up. If you need help in debugging, we would need some more details, transaction ID or something like that.

1 Like

Takes 10 - 15 mins to connect the wallet to the network, and still no transactions reported…WIll supply details if I don’t see it in the next while.

I am very impressed by all the rest of the Cardano initiatives, but this wallet is disappointing.

Baltoe

2 Likes

I use Ledger X with AdaLite - it works great. The days for full node clients are numbered anyway.

1 Like

In the beginning, some sort of UI wallet was required and I guess it was faster and easier to ship a wallet that is a UI wrapper around a full node. Also from the security perspective. But yeah, for mass usage it won’t be Daedalus for sure, at least not in this form.

Cardano summit, IOG light wallet

1 Like

Apparently I will have to move in that direction as well. I re-installed the Daedalus wallet, and woke up this AM to
the spinning wheels telling me it was 99.98% synced. Can’t do business that way.

Does the staking of ADA work well with the Ledger?

Baltoe

What is ADA Lite?

Baltoe

It’s a light wallet. I’d suggest to use it with a Hardware Wallet like Ledger Nano.

I had the same issues with Daedalus while running it on 8GB RAM i7 Laptop.

However things went a lot much smoother after an upgrade to 16 GB RAM.

If you’re only using 8 GB you might want to consider upgrading it.

Sergiu

Been using Daedalus since Jul 21. I have to say the large roaming file size is an issue. I have a 128gb SSD for my operating system and terabytes of space in my other drives. I am using MKlink for the workaround as well but still it takes quite a while to load. Understand that it is a full node for max security without servers but I’m thinking of migrating to ADAlite.

Is anyone using ADAlite Mnemonic wallet and may I have your feedback on it so far? I have an old Trezor model One and the model T is a bit out of my reach in price. Thanks!

Great for you but the OP’s point is valid. This has the stink of open source Linux which is far buggier than any companies software of today. Cardano needs to have an “acceptance” program similar to Apple’s app store.

Hey but Haskell will save them right?

Apple does some kind of checking before submitted apps are accepted and that’s a good thing. It would be neat if Cardano made some kind of anti malware program that could identify and eliminate malicious smart contracts and tokens. It seem ås you can create tokens similar to the squid token which could only be bought but not sold. These things should be run on a testnet indistinguishsble from the real thing to see if they behave well.

[quote=“mcrio, post:11, topic:90633, full:true”]
In the beginning, some sort of UI wallet was required and I guess it was faster and easier to ship a wallet that is a UI wrapper around a full node. Also from the security perspective. But yeah, for mass usage it won’t be Daedalus for sure, at least not in this form.[/quote]

Do I hear that… I’ve been using Daedalus since, well, since before there was anything else. Always worked fine, but it has been getting slower and bulkier over time. Which is normal – I don’t expect a full node to be as nimble as a light wallet. But 4.8.0 basically killed it for me. No more checking a balance or redelegating without first having Daedalus hog my entire system for several hours? :frowning: Time to move.

1 Like

It’s not necessarily 4.8.0. The chain grew by something like 6 GiB in the last month.

Maybe, also the old versions would have taken much longer with such a lot of new data on each start. At least, they got the RAM usage under control.

But yes, not recommendable for end users anymore.