Daedalus on Windows10 - does it require Administrator access to install?

Hi, I have Ubuntu running Daedalus and it does not require adminstrator access to install.

Yet on Windows 10 it does ask for it because it says it has to write to program files - but having had some pentesting experience, specifically to introduce privesc hurdles => no one logs onto the machines here as admin.

Yet this appears to be the only option for Daedalus. Giving it the required admin rights to install led to it installing itself under the admin user (not standard user).

Is this the only way on Windows?

Regards, F

isnt there an option to grant regular uses the ability to write files and execue programs, so youll bypass the need to run it as root/admin

Thanks but was unsure what you mean. Sorry about delay.

Have had chance to try again running Daedalus as non-admin user on Win10 and:

• It prompts me to provide an admin user to install in “Program Files” - fair enough I think
  • After install - there is no icon on desktop or menu item (for standard user who asked for install)
  • If I log on as ADMIN user then there is the ability to run it - but why make you log on as an administrator to do this?
  • I create a shortcut from program files daedalus executable onto standard users desktop thinking OK is this just a missing step - BUT:
  • running the shortcut to actual daedalus executable as standard win10user gives this

So how do I install and run Daedalus as non-admin user on Windows 10 without cutting back security?
I am not allowed to log on as administrator user. But to install I need to provide administrator credentials. Then I cannot run Daedalus without adminstrator rights (or doing something to undo role segregation)?

Thanks so much for any help and super sorry if I am missing something!

Fred

is there a possibility in the admin and user management environment to grant a specific user the right to execute progams?

im using daedalus in Windows 10 too so i might be able to fiddle around a bit.

If you cannot change the directory permissions (which I’m assuming you cannot) you can:

1. Change the install location to a folder you can create yourself as user or,
  2. Install into the public directory:
C:\Users\Public
1 Like