Daedalus Wallet Stuck on "Connecting to Network"

Successfully connected and syncing the blockchain

1 Like

how do you restore your wallet after reinstall. is this a simple process?

Hi Joshua, it is a pretty simple process for users. You will need to provide the phrase seed (12 words) used at the time of wallet creation. The wallet will sync with the network and all your ADA’s will be there.

1 Like

cool thats what i thought i just wanted to double check before i did the reinstall.

Alright, so far so good. Wallet is restoring. We’ll see if all of my currency is still there…

Yo I realize I’m responding to this like, 11hrs later, but I hope you understand or read somewhere on these forums that it takes a long time for your wallet to restore, and that it’s pretty crucial to not interrupt that process. If you do, you will have to delete all of your files and do a fresh reinstall, and then attempt to restore your wallet again.

1 Like

The problem is gone in my Windows 10. But, it re-appear in the Mac OSX version. If the developer could not resolve this rampant issue, as an investor, how could I be convinced if they could deliver the features they promised in their Whitepapers ?

1 Like

Just confirmed, 2 days later, that all my currency is indeed still in my wallet.

I definitely feel what you’re saying wendysa.

I don’t particularly appreciate or understand why they put out this alpha stage wallet to let investors basically test it for them while they develop the finished product.

The UI looks slick, but everything else about it is extremely buggy.

I am happy that my currency wasn’t actually lost, but the transaction should have just executed in the first place. That’s like, bare minimum of what any digital wallet should be able to do without much of a hangup.

2 Likes

It working, thanks!

Running windows 10 here. How long did it take you to synchronize? I had it going until 96 percent which took two days and then it got stuck. I followed the directions and deleted the dB 1.0 folder and then i had problems connecting. I then uninstalled Daedalus, White listed Daedalus.exe amd cardano-node.exe in my windows defender and reinstalled Daedalus. I’m now at 20.59 percent and it’s just crawling along. Any faster way to get this done?

Goddamn, what a f**k-about, but I think I may have an answer to this issue (but only for you Windows users!)

So after plenty of reinstalls, tethering to my mobile as a different source of connectivity, and still no success, I decided to have a dig around in the wallet’s program files.

Turns out I found a handy ‘daedalus.bat’ file in my install directory (C:\Program Files\Daedalus).

So… randomly I thought, I would run this batch file (as a local Admin, of course), and lo… I was presented with a screen that I hadn’t seen for weeks…

White background, and the glorious message ‘Syncing blocks 93.80%’.

I couldn’t believe it. Currently waiting to see the results of the sync, but all being well, I should be able to see my wallet, and get those coins exchange-side, until Cardano fix this weird issue in a future version of the wallet.

I love what the Cardano team are doing and what they represent, but damn, that wallet needs some major bug fixing before the next release.

Hope this works for anyone experiencing similar issues.

Good luck!

2 Likes

My initial block sync took the better part of 6-7 hours if that helps.

1 Like

I finally got this issue sorted on my laptop. For two days was getting the “Connecting to Network” message. After searching a lot online found the solution on the Daedalus FAQs. IT appears Daedalus is extremely time-sensitive. The FAQ specifically states “If the time on the user’s machine is off by 20 seconds or more from the internet time it is not possible to connect to the network”. So adujsted the clock and voilá!!! Problemo solved!!! Hope it helps

1 Like

I read here and in the chat, as well as on reddit and Twitter from users who don’t get the wallet started and synchronized.

Since I didn’t have this problem myself, I tried to reproduce and provoke it, and so far I found out this:
(on different Windows 8,10 and 2012Srv, always with perfectly synchronized internet time):

After installation, the Daedalus icon is located on the desktop. Double-clicking executes a batch script that first starts a local Cardano node. Furthermore, the Daedalus Wallet is executed, which connects to the local node.
You can now see the Daedalus icon in the task bar and fix it there permanently with “pin to taskbar”. Note: only the executed Daedalus.exe is fixed here and not the entire startup script. When you later start the wallet from the taskbar, there is no startup request for the node, no Windows security query and therefore the node to which the wallet tries to connect is missing. From a technical point of view, this is a relatively simple cause, that can certainly be improved in future installation routines. Until then, please make sure that you run daedalus.bat and not the exe.

I also tried to compress the DB folder with its 800.000 files, which took about an hour (NTFS file system compression). But this didn’t really work because of the many very small files. Neither the speed nor the amount of storage space actually consumed has improved significantly. I only noticed that Daedalus could not connect after the compression. Only a restart of the computer helped. So it is possible that temporarily locked files in the DB folder (e. g. Antivirus) might cause a problem. But I never had to delete parts or the entire DB folder to synchronize everything again.

I was able to reconstruct another situation on a virtualized server in a data center. SysInternals process explorer clearly shows that the cardano-node has started. It listens on port 8090 and you can Telnet there. Or you can simply open a web browser to access http://localhost:8090. The node should issue a message that it only accepts encrypted HTTPS connections. But that’s enough to realize that the node is actually active. However, ProcExplorer also showed that the node itself could not connect to the Cardano network. The connection attempts to different AmazonAWS servers on port 3000 failed (SYN_SENT) until I unlocked the port 3000 on the firewalls for these outgoing connections. A few seconds later, the waiting Daedalus began to synchronize.

So to find out if it is a network problem, you should first try to visit http://localhost:8090 in your web browser. If there is a fast response from there, it rather indicates that the local Cardano node has started, but is not connected to the Cardano network. This can effectively be caused by a firewall that allows only certain outgoing connections. Whether this is configured by your Internet access provider or your own router/firewall has to be checked on a case-by-case basis. It could also be an antivirus/security suite installed on your computer that blocks these outgoing connections.

If you want to see a few details of your own, you can download https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer and run it by right-clicking with administrator rights. With the Process Monitor you could take a much more detailed look at the activities of wallet and node. Actually, the network connection problems should be solved in this way.

Let’s see what the next release version will bring.

5 Likes

I did this, but now it seems to be stuck at “Syncing blocks 98.73%” - still stuck, just a different visual.

Edit 3: This is my first post here by the way - Hi y’all.

Edit 4 (solution): FYI, in case anyone else has the same problem, I got this sorted by reinstalling and resyncing. I don’t think it was port conflicts, I think it was just that I screwed up the installation by launching Daedalus without cardano-node running and the only fix was reinstallation. And the Daedalus gui seems somewhat graphics card intensive, or there’s a problem with my graphics card, so a couple times what I thought was non-responsive interface was just my screen needing a refresh.

Edit 1 (I was getting infowarnings from the forum system suggesting I combine my posts instead of treating it like a chat room, and I just now figured out how to edit posts, so I’m combining them that way):
Ok, it’s making progress after all - up 99.79% 15 minutes later.

Edit 2 (leaving this in place for posterity, but solution is in Edit 4 above):
Now, by using the bat file to launch Daedalus I can get it open, but neither creating or restoring wallets seems to work. I restore the wallet I was using earlier, using the 12 word recovery phrase, and I just get the same screen, inviting me to create or restore a wallet. I create a wallet, and I get the same screen again. I close Daedalus and reopen it using the bat file, and see the same screen. I try restoring the wallet again and get a message that the wallet already exists. I create a new test wallet, using the same name as the new one I created a minute ago (“test”). I get the same screen again. Using the 12 words, I try to restore the (second) new “test” wallet I just created, and again get the message “Wallet you are trying to restore already exists.”

Two things I haven’t seen addressed anywhere yet: Usually when I start Daedalus by double-clicking on the exe, I do not see anything that says cardano listed on the Processes tab of Task Manager (Win7x64 btw). I only see cardano-node.exe when I launch using the bat file. I also see cardano-launcher.exe for a few minutes at first, launching with the bat file.
Second, I see a lot of the following in the log:
[2017-12-26 22:31:50:0559] [error] CardanoClientApi::syncProgress error: {
“stack”: “Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:8090\n at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:1026:11)\n at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1049:20)\n at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1081:14)”,
“message”: “connect ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:8090”,
“code”: “ECONNREFUSED”,
“errno”: “ECONNREFUSED”,
“syscall”: “connect”,
“address”: “127.0.0.1”,
“port”: 8090
}

I’m going to try werkof’s recommendations for tracking down outgoing port conflicts next. Huh… werkof’s post answers my issue completely after all - I just read all of it instead of just skimming to the end of it (I gotta quit doing that), and now I understand why I wasn’t seeing cardano-node - because I was also launching the exe file directly from the shortcut I’d pinned to my task bar. And now that I’ve actually read the log I see that error message is all about port 8090…

1 Like

My daughters laptop with Windows installed and had the “…connecting to server” error that persisted in the Daedalus wallet. I resolved the problem at the software firewall by allowing the cardano-node process to access. We use Kaspersky Internet Security and on her computer the Cardano and Daedalus processes were blocked by default as unknown. Once enabled, the wallet synced up and opened no problem. I am assuming the same issue could arise with Norton Antivirus or Zone Alarm. I am also assuming that most people running crypto wallets are using a robust anti-virus and firewall.
My Daedalus wallet is running on a Mac and I did not have issues. Kaserpersky does not appear to try to firewall on a Mac and leaves that type of security to the built in OSX firewall. By default the Mac OSX firewall is disabled but I enabled it from day one and never had any issue.

3 Likes

Excellent excellent analytics going on ony9ur part. Thank you! My issue was the I was starting from the pinned to task bar link. As soon as I closed the connecting toner work window and reopened from the desktop link, it opened and there were my coins. Thank you again. As I was reading through the rest of your possible problems it just reiterated to me why I love my iPad so much. Much less complicated and less potential for something to go wrong. I can’t wait until we can finally store all of our currencies securely on our mobile devices.

2 Likes

Before you uninstalled, were you able to see that your ADA was in there? I transferred money to my wallet, and on binance it says the transfer went through, and on the Cardano website it says the transfer went through, but im stuck at connecting to network. So ive never been able to open the wallet and actually see the currency in there. Im worried that if i uninstall and restore, the currency wont be there?

Hi is your problem resolved. Im facing exact same issue. Transferred some ADA from Binance to wallet this morning (more than 10 hrs now) and the binance status is completed after 3 hrs. However it is not reflected in wallet so I restarted the PC and tried to reopen the wallet. It is showing connecting to network message for more than 2 hrs. Can anyone pls help.

I was able to fix this issue finally. The issue is happening if we are opening Daedalus.exe directly from the installer folder.Instead if we are opening the application from C:\Program Files\Daedalus\daedalus.bat or through the desktop shortcut it is working and able to see the transactions.