Distribution of rewards method for PoS seems to be undecided as of now - should the community have a say?

Ok. What is the decision so there can be some clarity?

Several places in the design document this is mentioned Vantuz. Perhaps you are referring to a more strict “Trust” than what i put in trust (like public perception of a given choice if it is good or bad.)
P.48: “(Public Perception) This may be perceived as subverting the notion of immutability of the
blockchain (at least in its UTxO model)”
P.49: “. An individual stake pool member will on average receive the same rewards as with any of
the other approaches, but it will be much less predictable. This might be problematic from
a Public Perception perspective.”
P.49 “. (Public Perception) although (in the limit) this is the same outcome as sharing, apparently
most humans don’t see things that way15 – they would prefer known outputs (even if
smaller) to unknown ones. An additional indicator of human response might be to look
at a similar mechanism (random rewards for depositing a fixed stake) has run since 1956.
Premium Bonds16 – computer nerds / crypto nuts should note who helped create the
original ERNIE). The public might like the gambling aspect, businesses might not!”
P.50 “Unless people stick to a single staking key (which would immediately mean they give up
all privacy, not a choice most people would be comfortable with I suspect), we basically
end up creating lots of staking keys, to which we would only deposit once, and withdraw
from once – in other words, we’d have reinvented UTxO entries, and the accumulation
does not help.”

I am sorry I do not agree with you and to think any reward mechanism is not dependent on how it is perceived by the users is naive! (Oh and also given how a good deal of tought has gone into this in the document I believe you are contradicting yourself or the ones who wrote the document)

I disagree wholeheartedly!

Please keep in mind I DIG Cardano. I have invested in Cardano. I am puzzled how this document has been released in its current shape. Either this should have been discussed in public from the start or kept private until a solution was reached. Then again at this point it seems to be in the public ( I got this from a link on the forum in this post and have no prior knowledge apart from what I read from the link pdf) so at this point it is definitively healthy to just discuss it given its public nature. And I only see good in community being involved and having the ability to have a voice on this given how staking reward distribution is both dependent on what is good for the Cardano Network but also for each individual community member. For example a lottery model where a user would risk having to wait for months for a reward would probably kill off any interest in staking. (if I understood the lottery model correctly that is.) So clearly there is a relationship between the two things.

2 Likes