Do you plan to run a stake pool in 2019? [Anonymous Survey]

In my view there are no other staking coins, :cardano: will be the first one. I can put four wheels on a square piece of wood and call it a car :red_car:, but it wonā€™t make it so.

1 Like

Did you read the delegation_design_spec.pdf?

I havenā€™t, I donā€™t think I would understand it even if I did. Please share the link Iā€™ll give it a try . Iā€™m forming my opinions using general logic and intuition.

This draft was shared before the Berlin workshop https://www.adatainment.com/_downloads/docs/delegation_design_spec.pdf

Thereā€™s a newer one in the github repo of IOHK. For the questions in this thread it should do fine.

1 Like

Thank you, will check it out.

One question regarding Sybil attacks, Do you plan to run a stake pool in 2019? [Anonymous Survey]
Did you mean this post jokingly? Itā€™ll give me perspective on your vantage point

The part about exchanges creating multiple stakepools

My understanding is that there is no technical way of preventing exchanges from staking but there is a game theoretic way to induce them to hold their stash in enterprise addresses (because it gives exchanges extra capabilities like recalling funds within a time window, etc)

Also users can self enforce exclusion by not sending their ADA to exchanges without enterprise addresses but their incentives for doing that are a bit hard to pinpoint (why would they? They give up rewards and better finality with enterprise addresses).

So itā€™s a good question to try to answer goin through specsā€¦ I will give it a read.

3 Likes

Right, this would be the one and only way. The current incentives to use enterprise addresses is to show a good will.

1 Like

No, not all and I was not talking about Sybil attacks. Itā€™s just the fact that Binance canā€™t put 10% of all ADA in one pool. It would be saturated immediately and not as profitable as splitting the ADA in different pools. This is explained on http://staking.cardano.org

2 Likes

This is actually pretty interesting, it seems thereā€™s a delicate balancing act going onā€¦splitting up your stake is unprofitable, having an extremely large stake pool is unprofitable as well. I want to know how this effects delegation and voting, since :ada: is distributed that way as well.

All of our misconceptions are going to be tossed on their proper heads. I believe itā€™s going to be a sobering year for us.

Indeed the most important incentive when it comes to decentralization. It prevents ending up with only a few big pools.

That is interesting and a very good example, on the mytezosbaker web site there is a column for ā€œoverstakedā€ which may be needed for the Cardano pools. I wonder if someone in the community will make a web site like that for Cardano. We will need to highlight what other staking technologies are doing and borrow their ideas for when Cardano staking is online we have those features.
9Apps Lucky Patcher VidMate

2 Likes

Very likely all wallets will help you to select your staking pool, sorting the pools by a new metric called ā€œdesirabilityā€. Desirability is composed by: reliability (online?), the pledge (poolā€™s stake), saturation (is it full?), pool costs and margin.

1 Like

3.5.1 No Special Wallet for Stake Pool Operators
If possible, we would like to avoid a situation where stake pool operators are required to use
a special kind of wallet. Apart from registering their pool and running their own nodes, they
should be able to use the same wallet as anyone else, without any additional or restricted
features.
We expect that following this design goal will lead to less engineering effort, better maintainability, and a better user experience for stake pool operators.
Design Specification for Delegation and Incentives in Cardano

1 Like

That pdf is loaded!