Experience with v8.7.2

Has anyone started using v8.7.2 and can share their experience?

I haven’t seen any notice about it being mandatory and we try keep up-to-date but as a friend once told me you don’t always want to be an early adopter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Tatyana

1 Like

I did update my preprod nodes to 8.7.2 and so far i didnt had any issues with that.

A few days ago then i updated the nodes from mainnet and so far i had no issues there either.

1 Like

Here are my observations: the relays require much more memory - about 24GB; I had to upgrade my servers. After first start the new version re-validates all blocks like some other upgrades did. Otherwise I have no issues seen so far.

It has a nice new feature, one can re-configure the topology without restarting the nodes - if you are in p2p mode. A kill -HUP on the node process re-reads the configuration.

Before I forget: a new library is needed, namely libblst.a and a new conway-genesis.json comes with the new version.

1 Like

Also cardano-node 8.7.2 it will compile with ghc-9.6.3 and 9.2.8, as well as 8.10.7. Unfortunately when compiled with ghc-9.6.3 the node segfaults on ARM machines which I believe is a known Haskell compiler bug related to how 9.6.3 does memory management.

If you want to run cardano-node using the nonmoving garbage collector then this works better in the later versions of Haskell.

2 Likes

Speaking of the increased memory requirement, on one of my relays, which has only 18 GB of RAM, I noticed the replay completed, then it proceeded to validating blocks, and then it went back to replaying everything from 0%. So, I couldn’t bootstrap the node with existing data. I assume it’s a memory thing as I had no other issue with my other relays, which each have plenty of RAM.

For my low RAM relay, I ended up deleting the db folder, restarting the node, and letting it fetch everything again. That worked. I also looked to see if I could find a mithril snapshot of 8.7.2 data, but I can’t find any. All the snapshots are using previous release version.

1 Like

As an alternative you can also copy the db from some other relay or the block producer. This is probably the fastest way to upgrade the database.

1 Like

Thanks for the good idea!

1 Like

Appreciate all the feedback!

Does anyone have an indication on the mandatory-ness of the release? it seems like a step up in terms of system requirements so a bit hesitant.

1 Like

Right now its not mandatory. Probably the next 9.x.x version will be mandatory.

1 Like

@Alexd1985, @Zyroxa
Do we have any node 8.7.3 upgrade guide/steps?

1 Like

Hi,

Not upgraded yet, but you should find the bin files on portal

There is a guide here:

update: I upgrated my relay with success following the link

Cheers,

2 Likes