For stake pool operators: Logo usage and name of stake pools

We have been approached by some of you with regards to logo usage and choosing a name for your stake pool. We would like to clarify the following:

Cardano Foundation Trademark Policy:

In general, with regards to any sort of questions regarding the usage of our trademarks, please refer to our trademark policy (“Trademark Policy”).

Logo Usage:

Please note that manipulation of our trademarks of any kind constitutes a Trademark Policy violation. Therefore, stake pool operators can use the standalone logo without any alterations. It is acceptable to include our logo in a picture. However, our word marks or logos cannot be used in an untruthful or unfair manner, or in a way that may be considered derogatory, deceptive or misleading.

Stake Pool Name:

The words ‘Cardano’ or ‘ada’ can be included in a stake pool name. When choosing a name for testnet and mainnet, please use common sense and do not use anything of an illegal, defamatory or humiliating nature, or anything else that may negatively impact the reputation of the Cardano Protocol, Cardano Code, or the Cardano Partners. Any kind of link between the Cardano Foundation and its Ambassador Program and the stake pool cannot be suggested or implied—directly or indirectly—e.g. you are not allowed to mark it as “official” or similar. Any suggestion of being the best or the only ada stake pool can also not be suggested or implied at all.

Company Name / Domain Name:

As a general rule, you may not use or register, in whole or in part, the marks as part of your own trademark, service mark, domain name, company name, trade name, product name or service name in any part of the world.

With regards to the domain name, there is an exception to the rule: You are allowed to use the marks in a domain name that:

• is exclusively intended to support the Cardano Code and Project, provided it does not imply an official sponsorship or endorsement by the Cardano Partners;
  • shows a creative expression (i.e. shows it is your own project) and
  • strictly observes the Trademark Policy.

Examples, so it is easier for you to understand:

Allowed to use:

• Ada/Cardano + creative expression: e.g. adatainment, adaplanet
  • A non-commercial website: howtoinstallcardano.xy, pourquoicardano.xy

Not allowed to use:

• Ada/Cardano + A country name, e.g. Adaswitzerland.xy, Adafrance.xy etc.
  • Exaggerating resp. promoting it as being special:
    • “Ada super stake pool” / adasuperstakepool.xy,
    • “Awesome Ada stake pool” / awesomeadastakepool.xy,
    • “Best Ada stake pool” / bestadastakepool.xy etc.
  • Claiming to be an “official” or “endorsed” stake pool: “Official Ada stake pool” / officialadastakepool.xy; “Ambassador stake pool” etc.

For all other uses of our logo and trademarks the existing Trademark Policy applies. If you have any questions, please contact us: legal@cardanofoundation.org

Please note that we are currently updating our Trademark Policy. We plan to add more examples in order to make it easier to understand. It will, however, take some time to finalize the document. Your kind patience is appreciated.

18 Likes

Concerning the logo, I would need one precision. By alterations, does this include changes in color (partial or total) in addition to shape changes ? If yes, that would be a killer for visuals but ok …

1 Like

@Psychomb you must not change the shape of the Cardano logo (i.e. turning the dots into hearts), you can stick it to your logo (for example like I did with the ADAtainment logo) and you can even also change the color. As far as I understand color change should be total and not partial, not sure on this. When in doubt you can always send the logo to legal@cardanofoundation.org

2 Likes

so .com and .net and probably a few others are not allowed?

Don’t know for certain but 99% sure it will be the purpose of the site that matters, not the domain name.

No, *.com and *.net domains are fine. Gianna used the *.xy domain to prevent the example becoming a hyperlink automatically.

@Psychomb We are generous when it comes to changing the color of the logo. As @adatainment mentioned, when you are not sure though, please send us an email to double check. Thanx!

1 Like

Will we be able to tie our Stake Pool ID with our Stake Pool name to show in the Deadalus Wallet?

This is even required, because the wallets will gather the meta data that you are providing when registering the pool on-chain*.

*Please note that for the Incentivized Testnet this is done via GitHub, but this is just a temporary solution.

1 Like

Do I understand correctly, that “non-commercial” is related only to the naming, but not to the use of the website? If I am founding a company to operate the stake pools, is it still allowed to use the words and logos as described? Because in this case the useage of the website would be related to the commercial stake pool operation.

Is it also permitted to use the daedalus logo in the same way you have described? See e.g. my avatar picture.

No, the use of the website defines if it is commercial or not. The way I understand this (and I’m not a lawyer): the “problem” regarding the logo is really if you mix it with your own logo. (because in that case you are promoting a product with the Cardano logo)

The Daedalus logo is owned by IOHK and probably has its own guidelines/licences. Highly likely it is Apache-2.0 License but I’m not sure on this.

1 Like

I have 2 questions;

1. if we are truly decentralised, how can any of this even be enforced? (SPOs can be anonymous, you can’t sue an IP address, etc) and

2. what logos are trademarked and what isn’t? The Austral sign is a lot older than Crypto is, so I don’t think it’s even possible to claim ownership of that one. It would be like a business trying to trademark the Dollar or Pound sign. ₳ $ £ € ¥ ₱

Edit: I’ve answered the 2nd question myself, and now I have another - what is the difference between the Austral symbol (that is in the public domain) and the “ADA symbol” which there is supposed to be trademark restrictions on? For the reasons mentioned above, I don’t think it’s possible to trademark such a design.

What happens to a Stake Pool Operator that revises, changes or adapts the Austral sign for their stake pool’s logo, given that it’s not trademarked?

1 Like