How Many Stake Pools?

It’s not for that ( Daedalus 1.4 ) ? , maybe i get it wrong but staking with Daedalus and other features would be available from Daedalus after 1.4 release

You probably meant delegating using Daedalus, that’s ok, cos it’s just signing a cert for a pool.
I am explaining it: To secure the network the majority of slotleaders must be online 24/7, what you cannot guarnatee with the Deadalus’ wallet. As the wallet users, in general, are normal users, means just occasionally cheking their wallet and not running Daedalus 24/7, but some or a few hours/mins in a day.

1 Like

Thank you very much!
Yeah I know that you can delegate and the purpose of it, yet I was wrong assuming that once we have delegation, Daedalus would allow staking too!
Yes I know the difference between the two, I was wrong

Yes, relay nodes are factored in, deploying in three geographically separate locations.

ZFS was chosen to cover this very thing.
I’m glad you are bringing this to everyone’s attention, for if this is Cardano’s future then serving up this stack will require educating pool operators.

See this post:

Correction, Daedalus is a full node as @_ilap points out, targeted application fulfilling its purpose as a wallet.

This is one of the things Cardano is trying to steer away from, isn’t it? The cost of running a pool is an input within the Reward Sharing Schemes for Stake Pools, negating operating in a private world in opposition with Cardano PoS goals.

3 Likes

But, @yanik, there seem to be around 13,5 thousand ethereum nodes out there (https://www.ethernodes.org) and around 10 thousand bitcoin nodes (https://bitnodes.earn.com) :sunny::sunny::sunny: And I think a mining pool would be represented as a single node :wink:

4 Likes

Believe anyone will be able to setup a pool, a private pool if you like. If you can fill a pool, you would be crazy not to run your own private pool.

Why would it slow down the network?

I’m going to assume you mean because of missed slots… well, then they lose their reward I guess, it’s a strong disincentive. If you had any amount worth talking about, you would make sure that did not happen to you.

1 Like

I have no idea if that’s correct, but I’ll go with the 1000… You can run a decent server on AWS for a touch under 1K a year, or probably even less with someone like Digital Ocean… so that works, even at current prices :wink: but I’m pretty sure I remember a video where CH was talking about “extras” (they always want more don’t they), idk how many extras he wants, but that might end up pushing it.

I guess Yanik isn’t American. If the incentives are right, even electrified barbed wire won’t keep the hordes away.

2 Likes

See above for Cardano Calculator