How much ADA do you have to have to mint/create 1,000,000 tokens?

I heard that for each token you mint/create or send, it sends some ADA with it. Does anyone know what the calculation is for this?

How much ADA do you have to have to create 1 token?
How much ADA do you have to have to create 100,000 tokens?
How much ADA do you have to have to create 1,000,000 tokens?
How much ADA do you have to have to create 21,000,000 tokens?
How much ADA do you have to have to create 1 billion tokens?

To create the tokens you would need the transaction fee (usually less than an ada) and 1 ada for the outgoing transaction of the minting process. That would still be 1 ada regardless of if you mint 1, 100 or 10000 tokens.
To send someone a token you need 1 ada per outgoing transaction plus the transaction fee. That means that if you want to send 100 ada to the same address that would be 1 ada plus the transactions fee and if you want to send 100 tokens to 100 different addresses (100 different transactions) you would need 100 ada and 100 transaction fees. So it depends on what you do with the tokens you mint more than how many they are.

7 Likes

That is very interesting and gives me something to think about. :slightly_smiling_face:

What happens to the 1 ada that’s sent with a token transfer?

The ADA arrives along with the tokens at their destination address(es).

1 Like

I’m still trying to make sense of the 1 ADA transfer per token transfer. Is the rationale for this a spam defense?

The min-ADA rationale is explained in the ledger documentation, but the short answer is that min-ADA “limits the maximum total size taken up by UTxO entries on the ledger at a given time”. (This and the transaction fees discourage spam.) The “Example min-ada-values and calculations” section at the end of that documentation illustrates how the number of policies and the number/length of asset names affects min-ADA.

1 Like