How to add funds to payment.addr mainnet

Hi, I’m trying to send ADA funds from a wallet (Eternl/Nami) to an address I created (pay.addr), but it’s not working.

I created the wallet according to the guide, changing the network

cardano-cli address key-gen \
--verification-key-file pay.vkey \
--signing-key-file pay.skey

then

cardano-cli address build \
--payment-verification-key-file pay.vkey \
--out-file pay.addr \
--mainnet

so I got the address created

$ cat pay.addr | cardano-address address inspect
{
    "stake_reference": "none",
    "spending_key_hash_bech32": "addr_vkh1an33fpxnkj09r8upnlw55a59kcysk8u3jcm00rfu44dk75ut34v",
    "address_style": "Shelley",
    "spending_key_hash": "ece31484d3b49e519f819fdd4a7685b6090b1f919636f78d3cad5b6f",
    "network_tag": 1,
    "address_type": 6
}
$ cardano-cli query utxo --address $(cat pay.addr) --mainnet
                           TxHash                                 TxIx        Amount
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$

Did I skip any important steps or something? I already did some tests on preview network, but I received funds from Cardano Faucet

When I try to send ada from my nami wallet to this address I get this error, which does not allow me to proceed

Not a valid address. Make sure it’s an address for the current network and it is either a valid Shelley or Byron (legacy) address.

I just started programming and learning about networking and I really want to learn more.

On mainnet, you need to get the funds from another wallet instead of from the faucet. That is correct.

To which address did you try to send?

It should be an address starting with addr1… that you find in pay.addr (so that you can see it with cat pay.addr).

Not the addr_vkh1… in the output of cardano-address address inspect. That is not a valid address, but just what is found in the address by that inspection.

But that should have been the same on Preview. You would have also given the faucet, the address in pay.addr, not the vkh from the inspection.

1 Like

Oh man, so much confusion, and I was just looking at this “addr_vkh1…” as an address instead of checking the actual address.

Thank you, your comment helped me find the solution.

I’ve been searching until now for something I might have done wrong, or something missing to install from the network.