How to Create a safe wallet to store my ADA

Because the light wallet is not completed yet, it would involve sharding the blockchain to dramatically increase syncing speed. This is on the roadmap.

You have to realise that Ethereum is not PoS yet… They will presumably face the same speed and syncing problems when Casper is released. Electroneum isn’t a PoS protocol either.

Why does a car start up faster than a F-20 fighter? It’s what happens after the ignition that matters :wink:

Okay, thanks for your replies. So how many Mb or Gb of space on my hard drive is the Daedalus Wallet going to take up?

Approximately 3.2GB I think, can’t check right now but I will do so as soon as I’m in front of my mbp. Meanwhile I’m hoping my estimation helps you out.

Edit: What @RobJF said below. Damn man, time is moving fast. it’s been awhile since i checked the filesize :grin:. Makes one ponder on blockchains having a strong correlation to living organisms, always evolving…

1 Like

Mine comes to nearly 7GB for data, logs etc, plus 300MB for the program files. So quite a lot! :grin:

1 Like

LOL. 7.5GB ! Typical, I have just got rid of my Tower PC with 16GB RAM and 1TB hard drive because it was taking up too much space. Replaced it with a laptop with i7 processor but only 8GB RAM for portability etc. Sounds like I need to build a super computer to cope with Cardano. Hahaha

7.5 gb hard drive space.

1 Like

My ancient laptop has only 4GB RAM but runs Daedalus quite happily.

I will give it another try when I have a spare couple of hours/days.

1 Like

Okay, checked my internet speed using my Laptop over my wireless connection. 19.0Mbps download, 8.97Mbps Upload, Latency 51ms. Apparently this is considered fast. I have fibre optic broadband to the house. Laptop is a Lenovo Z50 with i7-4510U CPU @2.00GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB Hybrid Hard Drive.

2 hours into installation of Daedalus and Syncing Blocks showing 15.87%. At this rate it will take nearly 14 hours to complete.

This would be fine if I still had my Tower PC which was plugged in 24/7 and I could leave it to get on with it. However I don’t think it is good for a Laptop to be plugged into the mains for so long. So I will try and sync the blocks in 2 hour daily intervals which will roughly take me a week.

Happy days!

You can plug out your battery then it should be no problem for a laptop to be connected so long.
The standard laptop-battery-killing procedure is having it plugged in with the battery for long times, but if you get the battery out it is no problem as far as I know.

But nevertheless, your procedure with 2h / day works fine too :slight_smile:

That’s right, it’s the effect on the battery of being held at 100% charge for long periods that’s the issue.

I’ve run my laptop on mains power all day every day for years! Most of that time the battery was in the fridge, wrapped in plastic. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I killed my MBP it’s battery years ago by excessively charging it, this is now my ‘desktop’ as a result. I’m quite diligent about the charging procedure for my other laptop. Wish i had used your approach Rob!

1 Like

You do not have any money on it, that’s more simple.:slight_smile:
In general, assuming that your computer is not compromised as you would not have any money at that address and you want it to HODL for long (years):

1. Save the public (receive) address (for tracking purpose on Cardano explorer) anywhere where you can access to it and
  2. write down the 12 words into two papers (believe it or not, the writing down is the safest),
  3. write down the instructions for your family (how to use Daedelus etc.)
  4. laminate them,
  5. put them into two (if you slightly paranoid) safety deposit boxes in two different banks (if you’re paranoid) in two different cities (more paranoid) that are far from each other (extremely paranoid).
  6. write a legal will (accident can happen anytime) what your family needs to do to access those deposits.
  7. Safe delete the Daedelus, you do not need it for checking the balance, use cardanoexplorer w/ the public address instead.

Also, we could argue what I could suggest differently and how and why, but this is simply enough for anybody who’s computers are not compromised and have a huge amount of ADA.
Vladimir’s reinstall and move to new address recommendations make sense if you only have just a small amount money on that address (attacker waits for more deposit.:)), as a lot of money would have been already disappeared from that address if the computer’s compromised already.

I can now report that I have finished syncing blocks 100%, created my wallet and transferred my ADA from Binance into my wallet. All went smoothly. And my laptop is working fine. Thanks for all the advice.

2 Likes

How would you do a clean reinstall on MAC? Would these instructions be adequate?

Thanks

Why would you want a clean reinstall of your MacOS? O_o

I was asking in relation to the original post by @https://forum.cardano.org/u/VladimirKrstic

I would reinstall macOS in case my computer was already comprised when I created my wallet and my seed phrase has been compromised. Obviously I’d rather not reinstall macOS if it’s not necessary… Then I would reinstall Daedalus and create a new wallet…

IMHO If you are afraid that your seed was compromised then create a new wallet inside Daedalus, write down seed and secure it. Then transfer your funds to new wallet. Change all your passwords for access to your Mac and that ‘should’ be suitable.

1 Like

What if you’re not sure if your computer has been infected?

Well, that seems like a bit of an overreaction, in my opinion :slight_smile:

I mean, are there a lot of Daedalus-targeted MacOS specific malware out there already? I haven’t heard of any so far. And I definitely wouldn’t want to clean-reinstall my OS every time I want to create a wallet )

It’s your decision, of course, but sounds for me like a “take bazooka to work today, what if today there’s gonna be Godzilla in there” :slight_smile:

I mean… are there any signs of your computer being infected with something? Do you know a lot of viruses for MacOS in general? Imo, being offline while you creating and securing your secret phrase is quite enough =)

1 Like