How to set up a POOL in a few minutes - and register using CNTOOLS

Thats true but the scripts (I think) were not updated for VHFC… you must install new packages manually

Hi

Am being a bit slow what version for Testnet works now ?

How do I move from an earlier version to this any files need deleting ?

They tagged 1.35.3-rc1 four hours ago. So you should use that. And be prepared to update again to a new version in a few hours or days.

And I cannot guarantee that it works. Currently breaking a lot of things.

Don’t try testnet at the moment if you cannot help yourself, I’d say.

No manual deletion, as far as I know.

Hi Sean

thanks again for explaining.

We need a testnet node to try some transactions we are doing for our marketplace. Is it essential to have a node or can we use testnet in cardano-cli ?

BTW after the update the node status says starting and no progress after 2 hours I am guessing that’s bad ?

cardano-cli needs a node running on the same system since it communicates with it through a socket file.

You are obviously still running 1.34.1 on testnet, there. Told you above that that won’t work, anymore.

Not sure if that is the reason it does not get any connections.

Hi Sean

So if I get the latest version how do I simply install it as not sure if I can fully follow the compile from source link ?

Yes currently getting config errors so looks like I’m forced to upgrade.

Aug 4 20:55:32 node1vlv cnode[253502]: cardano-node: FatalError {fatalErrorMessage = “Cardano.Node.Run.handleSimpleNodeNonP2P.readTopologyFile: Is your topology file formatted correctly? Expecting Non-P2P Topology file format. The port and valency fields should be numerical. If you specified the correct topology file make sure that you correctly setup EnableP2P configuration flag. Error in $: empty”}

This is just a test server never had as much trouble as this.
I could grab would help me not being as conversant in all the config ?

I believe ur topology file is wrong, can u share it?

You can’t use testnet without compiling the node yourself at the moment.

And you will have to use 1.35.2 and not 1.35.3: Telegram: Contact @SPOannouncements

EDIT: If you are running a node on testnet, it is a good idea to join that Telegram announcement channel and/or IOG’s Discord at https://discord.com/invite/78G5WDRP47.

cat testnet-topology.json

{
“Producers”: [
{
“addr”: “relays-new.cardano-testnet.iohkdev.io”,
“port”: 3001,
“valency”: 2
}
]
}

Ok thanks is there a GOOD reason why any earlier version won’t work ???

How about running a docker image, I just tried this one and its seems to be syncing or is it false hope and like the others it will just give up after a time ?

As you may have heard – since it is the main topic in Cardano for the previous weeks – the network will be forked/updated soon. This update – the so-called Vasil hard fork – has already happened on testnet. Versions prior to 1.35 don’t know anything about it. Once your node reaches blocks from after that fork, it will probably stop synchronising.

That is a reason for sure not sure its GOOD though ?

So is there any way of installing 1.35+ any other way than from source ?

Cool guide. I used it to build and run a testnet node yesterday. Until yesterday night, it synced to about 95%. When I looked at it today, gliveview said something like “couldn’t connect to a running node (3 attempts)” - or so. Now, when I check the status, I get a strange warning:

Anf gliveview seems to be stuck in status “starting”.

Any idea?

You are using cardano-node version 1.34.1, but the testnet was forked to Vasil quite some time ago and needs version 1.35.2, now.

If you run a node or even a pool, please follow the @SPOannouncements Telegram channel and/or IOG’s Discord.

1 Like

OK. And it’s not as simple as just putting 1.35.2 in the checkout command, I see. Because then I get:

lib/Cardano/Address/Script.hs:740:41: error:
• Couldn’t match type ‘Text’ with ‘Json.Key’
Expected type: [Json.Pair]
Actual type: [(Text, Value)]
• In the first argument of ‘object’, namely
‘(fmap toPair (Map.toList cosigners’))’
In the second argument of ‘(.=)’, namely
‘object (fmap toPair (Map.toList cosigners’))’
In the expression:
“cosigners” .= object (fmap toPair (Map.toList cosigners’))
|
740 | object [ “cosigners” .= object (fmap toPair (Map.toList cosigners’))
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lib/Cardano/Address/Script.hs:778:28: error:
• Couldn’t match type ‘Data.Aeson.KeyMap.KeyMap Value’
with ‘HM.HashMap Text Value’
Expected type: HM.HashMap Text Value
Actual type: Json.Object
• In the first argument of ‘HM.toList’, namely ‘o’
In the expression: HM.toList o
In the expression:
case HM.toList o of
→ fail “Cosigners object array should not be empty”
cs → for (reverse cs) $ \ (numTxt, str) → do …
|
778 | case HM.toList o of
| ^
cabal: Failed to build cardano-addresses-3.7.0 (which is required by
exe:cardano-address from cardano-addresses-cli-3.7.0). See the build log above
for details.

cd ~/git
cd cardano-node

git fetch --tags --all
git checkout 1.35.2

echo -e "package cardano-crypto-praos\n  flags: -external-libsodium-vrf" > cabal.project.local
$CNODE_HOME/scripts/cabal-build-all.sh

That’s exactly what I entered, except the -o parameter is not there anymore in the cabal-build-all command. That’s on purpose, I assume? May I ask what the -o parameter does?

Update: Still same error. I copy / pasted a bit more for context:

[ 8 of 16] Compiling Cardano.Address.Script ( lib/Cardano/Address/Script.hs, dist/build/Cardano/Address/Script.o, dist/build/Cardano/Address/Script.dyn_o )

lib/Cardano/Address/Script.hs:740:41: error:
• Couldn’t match type ‘Text’ with ‘Json.Key’
Expected type: [Json.Pair]
Actual type: [(Text, Value)]
• In the first argument of ‘object’, namely
‘(fmap toPair (Map.toList cosigners’))’
In the second argument of ‘(.=)’, namely
‘object (fmap toPair (Map.toList cosigners’))’
In the expression:
“cosigners” .= object (fmap toPair (Map.toList cosigners’))
|
740 | object [ “cosigners” .= object (fmap toPair (Map.toList cosigners’))
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lib/Cardano/Address/Script.hs:778:28: error:
• Couldn’t match type ‘Data.Aeson.KeyMap.KeyMap Value’
with ‘HM.HashMap Text Value’
Expected type: HM.HashMap Text Value
Actual type: Json.Object
• In the first argument of ‘HM.toList’, namely ‘o’
In the expression: HM.toList o
In the expression:
case HM.toList o of
→ fail “Cosigners object array should not be empty”
cs → for (reverse cs) $ \ (numTxt, str) → do …
|
778 | case HM.toList o of
| ^
cabal: Failed to build cardano-addresses-3.7.0 (which is required by
exe:cardano-address from cardano-addresses-cli-3.7.0). See the build log above
for details.

Strange. That error is not even in building cardano-node or cardano-cli, but in cardano-addresses. That is a totally different repository that you haven’t even touched with that git checkout.

then try again from step1. run ./prereqs.sh -f this time to force re-download the files

Yes, I deleted everything and ran from step 1 again (before I saw your message). It’s building for a longer time now, which is a good sign. If there’s any issue I’ll try the -f in step 1.

Thanks a bunch @Alexd1985 and @HeptaSean

Nope, still the same issue.
Could “Cannot open: https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-2.noarch.rpm. Skipping.” in step 1 be the issue? I see there are newer versions of that file in the folder. I’ll try and grab the newest. Edit: Stupid me, I can’t “grab” that, the script is referencing that file…

Edit 2: Inside prereqs.sh, this doesn’t seem to work:
" ! grep -q ^epel <<< “$(yum repolist)” && $sudo yum ${pkg_opts} install https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-“$(grep ^VERSION_ID /etc/os-release | cut -d" -f2)”.noarch.rpm > /dev/null" because it doesn’t pull the latest version.

Agree? Where should I report this (if at all)?