How to: Stake pool diagnostics on mainnet (Txs 0)?

Dear friends, I have been running small stake pool HAJEK several days. Registration and communication seems be good, no errors on startup, synchronization running OK. Both relays ports are open in the public IP and checked. Core node on private IP (private network) is connected to relays and vice versa (using port 30000). Relays are running on the private network as well as public IP using port 3001 and 3002. Relays are connected to 27 other relays. BUT Blocks minted, slots lead, cannot lead and Txs processed values are still zero.

Is there some diagnostics possibilities, how to resolve reason of such state ? (may be I have to increase server resource, may be wait only, may be there is some communication issue).

Thank a lot for help, I tried forums, I tried to googling, I tried to several times go throught the configuration and find some bug - but no success.

Did you add your block node address in the relay topology file. You need to interconect your topology. Like this other relay <=> your relay <=> your block node.

Your relay also need to be connected to other relay too.
I did it with this setup. https://cardano-community.github.io/guild-operators/#/Scripts/topologyupdater

Thank a lot for quick response, I think, this is not my reason, but to be sure:
My topology is:
Core (block) node running on port 30000 and otology json contains private IP adress and ports of my relays only:
{
“Producers”: [
{
“addr”: “10.xxx.xxx.12”,
“port”: 3001,
“valency”: 1
},
{
“addr”: “10.xxx.xxx.12”,
“port”: 3002,
}
]
}

Relays has two network connectors - private and public network including public IP. Relays are running on ports 3001 and 3002, ports are accessible from public internet. Relays port are listening simultaneously on private and public network interfaces. Relays topology includes Core node (block producing) internal IP and port 30000 as well as IOHK.IO relays new and approx. twenty other relays nodes.

“Producers”: [
{
“addr”: “10.xxx.xxx.11”,
“port”: 30000,
“valency”: 2
},
{
“addr”: “relays-new.cardano-mainnet.iohk.io”,
“valency”: 2
},
{
“type”: “regular”,
“addr”: “82.17.111.21”,
},
{
“addr”: “199.247.6.109”,
},
{
“addr”: “104.238.189.225”,
“port”: 6000,
}, …

May be is wrong to run two relays node on one machine ? May be is one core not enough ? May be I need to forward 30000 port from relays server to core node ? I dislike such experiments without reason, so I am looking for some diagnostics, which show me the reason and I will not only to repair, but I will be able to solve future troubles.

Hi David,

The stake pool HAJEK has 0 active stake (effective for current epoch), and 76k live stake (will become active in future epochs).

The chances of minting a block are slim with this amount delegated to the pool. Currently a pool needs to have millions of ADA staked to mint blocks regularly each epoch.

Furthermore, you will want to list your public relays using services such as topologyUpdater as well as work with other stake pool operators to share relay topologies. Your relays will need to be included in other stake pool relay topologies in order to mint blocks. When you register your relays with your pool, IOG adds the relay to their topology to help (updates twice per day so it doesn’t happen immediately).

Dear ADAfrog,
thank You very much for the explanation. So, the zero Txs does not mean that something is wrong and is up to me to share informations about stake pool regularly, be patient and invest into the GCP infrastructure till full decentralization occurs.

Really, thank You, I was afraid due to some informations from discussions (from testnet) = no minted blocks, but Txs have to increase regularly.

May be will be fair to inform my potential “stakers” on my webpage, that it is no good idea to use my stake pool right now as well as move my pledge (5k) and stake (69K) to somewhere else. I believe the small stake pools are useful, and there will be a chance running it without major losses. So I will create the second separate relay server, increase number of server cores, believe and wait :slight_smile:

Thanks to all for the support, I feel very good in this community !

Hi David,

Happy to be of help. Zero transactions means other nodes aren’t accepting transactions from your node, which is a problem (won’t be able to mint blocks) - but getting your relays into other operators’ relay topologies should address this.

I would stick it out - you still could mint blocks, but just not every epoch - and I suspect a lot of stake will be moving around in the near term. You most likely will want to increase marketing efforts that work within your operational model to help attract delegation.

Your friend, FROG

1 Like