New node - No TX processing and Uptime not incrementing?

Hello -

I am standing up a new node and running into an issue I haven’t seen before. The “Uptime” counter is stuck on 1 second and does not increment. I’ve stopped/started the service and rebooted the server many times. Any ideas?

The uptime thing is a bug in guild-operators that has already been fixed here

Generally speaking, it is quite problematic that guild-operators uses an alpha branch as default, which means that every time someone installs these tools without specifying a specific revision, he/she gets an arbitrary commit that happens to be HEAD of some alpha branch. All sorts of bugs may sneak into an installation through this path as we (again) witnessed here.

There are no releases for the project and the outdated tags aren’t of much use either. Furthermore, gLiveView gives the user the (false) impression of a specific version (i.e. v1.19.4) - but this is not true. You cannot say gLiveView-1.19.4 has this or that behavior, while in fact you are running an unknown (in this case buggy) revision from an alpha branch.

To add pain to injury, some of these scripts run with root privileges in cron jobs. This is really scary IMHO.

I suggested this before …

• use tags and releases
  • make the default branch ‘stable’ and not ‘alpha’
  • versions on screen must be tags (i.e. 1.25.1 [9a7331cc])

Since all of this stuff pertains to certain Cardano versions, guild-operators could perhaps adopt a version scheme that derives from the Cardano versions (e.g. 1.25.1-guild-001).

Guild, please fix these release management issues, they have become quite a serious security vulnerability.

3 Likes

The Tx 0 thing, is likely not gLiveView’s fault.

Try this if you are on Docker …

$ docker exec relay curl -s 127.0.0.1:12798/metrics | sort

and if not, it would be this …

$ curl -s 127.0.0.1:12798/metrics | sort

You should see something like this …

cardano_node_metrics_blockNum_int 5485560
cardano_node_metrics_density_real 4.819599705468907e-2
cardano_node_metrics_epoch_int 254
cardano_node_metrics_mempoolBytes_int 17552
cardano_node_metrics_Mem_resident_int 3843108864
cardano_node_metrics_nodeStartTime_int 1616234949
cardano_node_metrics_RTS_gcLiveBytes_int 2459999744
cardano_node_metrics_RTS_gcMajorNum_int 2981
cardano_node_metrics_RTS_gcMinorNum_int 130323
cardano_node_metrics_RTS_gcticks_int 1660538
cardano_node_metrics_RTS_mutticks_int 414997
cardano_node_metrics_slotInEpoch_int 324902
cardano_node_metrics_slotNum_int 24689702
cardano_node_metrics_Stat_cputicks_int 2075536
cardano_node_metrics_Stat_threads_int 16
cardano_node_metrics_txsInMempool_int 4
cardano_node_metrics_txsProcessedNum_int 8830

It is likely, that you don’t have the last two metrics - i.e. the cardano-node is not (yet) publishing the Tx metrics. I’m not so sure, why this could happen - perhaps your node is not yet sufficiently connected to other peers. Somebody else would might know better.

Here is a github issue related to this: #855

Hi,

Support and issues related to Guild scripts and tools are best reported directly at the GitHub repository and/or the announcement channel on Telegram at Telegram: Contact @guild_operators_official

As there is a GitHub issue(#855) opened I will continue to address the reported issue there.

1 Like